Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot Allocate Memory for play event nodes

roverdish

When creating RGB DMX sequences with lots of nutcracker effects I often get the message "Cannot allocate memory for play event notes".

I sometimes get another similar "Cannot allocate memory" message when attempting to copy and paste busy Nutcracker effects.

Does anyone know if this is a software issue or do I need the MONGO gaming computer to run these effects.

My processor shows these is more memory available but S# doesn't seem to want to allocate it.

Any help would be appreciated

Chip

Sounds like you might need the 4 gigabyte patch. If you haven't installed that, when LOR hits 2 gigabytes it's maxed out it's memory

There is a patch which will allow a 32bit program to access more than the 2GB allotted for said program.

Before the patch we had to do it manually.

But here is the patch: See post #1 topic #1

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30960-6-tips-for-large-channel-count-sequencing/?hl=%2B4gb+%2Bpatch

Edited by thebaronn

Have not installed yet but many thanks. I hate to spend hours with SS and Nutcracker to create a sequence and then not be capable of using it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

again

Chip

Came home installed the patch/plugin and Voila!! everything is happy. Cannot thank you enough for the advice and assistance.

Just when I was getting Nutcracker nutted out the memory issue stopped me in my tracks.

FYI Nutcracker also seems to save and export faster with the patch installed.

Chip

• 5 months later...

I have installed the patch and I still get the memory allocation error and all I am trying to import is a 1650 pixel Mega tree. What else could be the problem???

First, try to import again but have your task manager open. Make sure that LOR is indeed going abouve the 2GB memory threshold, if it isn;t then something went wrong with the patch and there is your problem. If it is, them my guess is that it freaks out right before it gets to 4GB. If that is the case, your import could be just too big.

there is hope!

I ran into the same issue in 2012 with my 4K pixel matrix, the files were huge. I split the pixels into 5 different groups and just took my time importing each one at a time, saving after EVERY change.

Hope this helps. let us know ASAP! It's crunch time!

I have the patch running and sometimes get the error, especially with repeated, large copy/pastes. I find saving often and occasionally stopping and restarting the sequence editor helps.