Light-O-Rama Forums

unplugging cat5

kbowman

If there is a correct way, I've never known what it was.

I've connect/disconnected the network cable with and without power.

I too share Don's comment. If there is a problem, the equipment manufacture would place a warning in their User Manual describing how to properly connect or disconnect the cable.

Edited by atver

The only INCORRECT way of unplugging cat5 that I know of is tripping over the cable...

• Like 6

The only INCORRECT way of unplugging cat5 that I know of is tripping over the cable...

Or just plain out pulling on the wire till it pops out (and/or possibly breaks).

• 1 month later...

Even though I agree with the above replies. I have to point out one thing. The Cat 5 when plugged into a powered on controller. There will be a 9VDC on two of the leads/pins. If you want to be really really safe. Never have one end plugged into a powered controller and the other end loose. Chances of something shorting out the two powered leads is very very little. There is always a chance. Do I do this? No. But just educating you to the fact that there is a very slim chance that you could short out a 9VDC supply on one of the boards / controllers.

Very good point Max Paul. We've had several customers encounter this same exact scenario.

Very good advice!!

• The topic was locked