Light-O-Rama Forums

Suitable wire for power injection extensions

Ralph A

Is there any difference in using automotive 12 gauge (AWG) wire vs 12 gauge speaker wire for power injection runs?  I already have 10 and 12 gauge speaker wire.  Seems like someone once stated speaker wire is not rated for the loads we typically use for pixels.

Thank you!

The gauge of the wire ie... 12 gauge or 14 gauge, is the big factor in determining the amperage capability of the wire.  The insulation around the wire determines the voltage and temp it can be used for.

If you are talking 12v power injection for pixels, the speaker with is fine.  The insulation may not be any good outside because it may harden and crack from UV exposure or extreme temperatures, but that would be the limiting factor. 

Once again, thank you plasmadrive!  Your knowledge is vast, and.... you save me money!!

You are welcome.. I don't know about my knowledge being vast, but the space between my ears... echos like crazy!  :P

I'm injecting power on my pixel tree at every string. Since I'm using Ray Wu's WS2811's, I went with his 3-conductor cables which are waterproof. I believe they are 20ga wire and this is only about 10 feet away. Now for my new RGB dumb strips that'll be on all the window frames, I purchased 16/4 weather proof cable as the distance will be about 50-60 feet maximum and line-loss comes into play

I had success using XTW wire 18awg (aka spt1 uv rated) for my runs. For my 2 5volt strings I have a 12volt run going up to a dc to dc converter right before the string to drop it down to 5v.

I had success using XTW wire 18awg (aka spt1 uv rated) for my runs. For my 2 5volt strings I have a 12volt run going up to a dc to dc converter right before the string to drop it down to 5v.

What type of converter do you use Titus to drop it down to 5vdc from 12?  Have you had any trouble with voltage spikes or drops with it?

Thanks!!

I know you didn't ask me, but I have now been successful in getting the company that sent me the bad converters to acknowledge the problem and they apologized and fixed the problem, so they say. 

Anyway, PRODCTODC is where I bought all my converters for the Plasma Icicles.  Once I found and discarded the ones with the shorted output (to the case) the rest were all rock solid and worked great. 

• Like 1

What type of converter do you use Titus to drop it down to 5vdc from 12?  Have you had any trouble with voltage spikes or drops with it?

Thanks!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXKBJI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  No problems that I know of. Input range is 8 to 23 volts My 12 volt supply is adjusted to around 10.80 (since my 12 volt pixels don't work at 12 volts) and It still gives me 5 volts. It is waterproof, the plastic case on it isn't but everything inside is epoxy sealed.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have now been successful in getting the company that sent me the bad converters to acknowledge the problem and they apologized and fixed the problem, so they say. 

Anyway, PRODCTODC is where I bought all my converters for the Plasma Icicles.  Once I found and discarded the ones with the shorted output (to the case) the rest were all rock solid and worked great. 

Thank you!  Appreciate that information!  I love your icicles!!  I have been wanting to to that for some time but I seem to get so many ideas in my head but can't carry them out as fast as I want due to limitations in time money and sometimes energy!!  I'll check out that converter also.

• The topic was locked