Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D and USB 485 with cross over cable

rocket col

Help.... just got a CMB24D DC controler and wired uo with a 30A 12 power supply.

I set everything up and connected my USB485 with a network cable to my pc and powered up. I got an error (power surge on usb i think) could not get the LOR hardware to find the controler, at this point i noticed the USB cable was very very hot. I unplugged all and checked everything. I found I had put in a X over cable (stupid me)

What damage have I done? the USB485 smells a little burnt but the controller looks ok and red light still flashes a couple of times a second. I cannot see any COM ports on PC so dont think its seeing it??

I put in a normal patch and I cannot find the controller and no com port seen on Hardware??

In the USB485 tost or has more damage been done?

Thanks

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Update to this, think the board my be faulty, ordered a new RS485 and plugged in with correct lead, Blam.... melted that too??????

Blew the USB ports on my pc as well. Have a look at pictures and see whats wrong?????? 

http://imgur.com/a/QUgZE

no fuse blown and 12vDC to board. what if any voltage should be going through the RJ45 

The USB cable got mad hot, the CMB24 board looks ok but if you look close the RJ45 ports look a little melted and smell burnt.

Any checks I could make???

HELP PLEASE

Ok, looks like a few things got hosed. Got to pay attention to how things are wired. Use only a patch cord, crossover cables as you found out the hard way can screw things up. Are you saying that you took the USB cable that came with the adapter and put it (USB cable) between the computer and the adapter? And then the crossover cable from the adapter and over to the controller?

Yes there is a 9VDC that is generated on the controller and applied to either the 3-6 or 4,5 pair. The other pair is the data. Pairs 1,2 and 7,8 are not used. But thinking about it. a crossover cable at one end swaps 1,2 with 3-6 pairs. Not real sure what harm should come of this unless somewhere you have some Ethernet hardware in the mix. Are you using some network switch?

Ok, looks like a few things got hosed. Got to pay attention to how things are wired. Use only a patch cord, crossover cables as you found out the hard way can screw things up. Are you saying that you took the USB cable that came with the adapter and put it (USB cable) between the computer and the adapter? And then the crossover cable from the adapter and over to the controller?

Yes there is a 9VDC that is generated on the controller and applied to either the 3-6 or 4,5 pair. The other pair is the data. Pairs 1,2 and 7,8 are not used. But thinking about it. a crossover cable at one end swaps 1,2 with 3-6 pairs. Not real sure what harm should come of this unless somewhere you have some Ethernet hardware in the mix. Are you using some network switch?

OK. using a patch cable type T568B checked that it is not a crossover using a network cable tester, all pins are straight through.

I have 2 units, one called 03 and one called 04 The dip switches are set to these numbers.

Using the patch cable and putting it in the RJ45 next to the AUX power input ( I will call this the left port)

The readings I get are as follows

Unit 03 left RJ45 port Input voltage = 12.3v

1 = zero

2 = zero

3 = 9.19V

4 = 0.62v

5 = 0.27v

6 = ground

7 = zero

8 = zero

Unit 03 right RJ45 port Input voltage = 12.3v

1 = zero

2 = zero

3 = 9.19V

4 = 0.62v

5 = 0.27v

6 = ground

7 = zero

8 = zero

Unit 04 left RJ45 port Input voltage = 12.4v

1 = zero

2 = zero

3 = 9.28V

4 = 0.61v

5 = 0.27v

6 = ground

7 = zero

8 = zero

Unit 04 right RJ45 port Input voltage = 12.4v

1 = zero

2 = zero

3 = 9.28V

4 = 0.61v

5 = 0.27v

6 = ground

7 = zero

8 = zero

Think this covers everything.

Any Ideas?

Not sure what has happened here but there has been a parallel conversation in the help desk. Not sure if the ticket has been updated yet but in discussions here at LOR we decided to send a CMB24, USB485 Cat5 cable which is all connected and tested as a unit. This will validate that all three components sent are working as a unit and once attached to your PC, if things do not work then there is likely an issue  on your end that we will need to understand. 

• The topic was locked