Light-O-Rama Forums

e682 issues with fast chases

marsh28

I have a e682 and got it set up and working in uni cast mode.  Yesterday, I connected a 2811 strip to the controller and started running a test animation sequence from S3.  Everything works well HOWEVER when I do very fast chases, the fades are not smooth and the colors aren't the same.  Currently, I have cable provided wireless internet that runs from the modem to a wireless/ethernet router.  My current set up has one ethernet cable attached from my router to the e682 and the other attached from the router to my laptop.  I've disabled wireless but still the signal seems to not be moving quick enough. Any ideas?

How fast are the chases? There is a finite limit to how fast DMX can go. I just fired up WireShark and captured a few hundred E1.31 packets to confirm how fast the updates are. There is a new packet every 23.4 milliseconds. Right now I only have one universe running for my Landscape lighting, but that is the same number I remembered from last Christmas season when there were seven universes.

I had a similar issue when I first started out.  I had noticeable issues (my wife says I was nuts, but I knew what was supposed to happen and could see them). I noticed these when I connected to my router both wirelessly and cabled. I also noticed that I had terrible internet connection throughout the home. Maybe it was the att DSL router that did not like things, who knows.  I am no computer guy by far, but only after I put all the e682 controllers on their own router (I have a cheap router, like $15 at target) with no internet connection everything worked perfectly.

But of course, If I misunderstood the post and you are in fact not connected to the internet at the same time you are running things, then I have no clue.

I think the issue was running through the sequence editor.  When I ran it as a show it worked fine.

How fast are the chases? There is a finite limit to how fast DMX can go. I just fired up WireShark and captured a few hundred E1.31 packets to confirm how fast the updates are. There is a new packet every 23.4 milliseconds. Right now I only have one universe running for my Landscape lighting, but that is the same number I remembered from last Christmas season when there were seven universes.

The chases are fast.  75 pixel chase in .35 seconds.  However, that is ALOT slower tha 23.4 milliseconds

Yep, that's pretty fast. If my math is right, that comes out to 4.6666 msec per pixel. Since DMX can't update faster than it's refresh rate, you are going to get groups of about five pixels changing every 23.4 msec. The human eye does not work that fast so I'm betting you would never see that.

However from your previous comment that it did fine with the show player, I would concur that it was the sequence editor failing to keep up.

I'm also going to run my show through x lights as I've heard its much faster than S3 at this point for running large pixel shows.

When you run a show or most likely test your show through the SE...you may see lag. Uncheck all the play options under that Play button at the top (ex: move grid, vary color, ect). This will help with the lag. If you using the Viz, turn that off too.

Kevin, I did that yesterday and everything finally worked fine.  Forgot how much the sequence editor can effect the refresh rate.  Here's a vid of my test from last night playing an animation sequence as a show.  As you can see, the chases now look fine.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOnfQMAtFCs&list=HL1401300803&index=1