Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Director - Error no SD Card help

EDc

Hey Guys,

Just recently received my g3-mp3 director and I cannot get the unit to work using hardware utility. The lights have no issue turning on when I program it through the Simple Show Builder, but when I try using the Hardware Utility program, I keep getting this error and I'm really not sure what the issue is.

I scheduled my show, added my sequence (.lms music sequence), create my show and the program states that the file is written onto the SD card, but every single time I plug it into the unit, I get the same error message. Anyone have this same issue before and solved it?

Thanks,

Ed

Another side question - When I tested with the simple show builder, I was able to get the lights to turn on during the scheduled time, however there was no sound, I had my desk speakers plugged into the Audio Output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit #1: Sorry I noticed I may have posted this in the wrong foroums, please move it to LOR components if need be mods.

I have another quick question, after searching through the LOR components foroums, several other people seem to have the same issue as mine, but what solved their issues didn't really seem to apply to me (not putting .lms file, bad transmitter wire, etc). I did notice people saying to update the firmware, which seems to be a last resort, how can I check what my current firmware is on my director?

Edited by EDc

You mention you get an error when programming via the HWU, but you don't tell us what it is. (Unless I missed it in your message.)

Is this an error the HWU is giving you, or an error message on the read out of the MP3 Director?

Don,

Thanks for the reply. I actually got the director to finally work earlier today. The error message I was getting was on the LED display of the director - Err No SD Card, everytime the sd card was plugged in. I honestly cannot say for sure how I even solved the issue.

What I did was re-read the manual and followed it step by step, the first few time it was still getting the same exact error. I then took a closer look on all the pictures that were provided in the manual and on page 34 of the G3-MP3 manual, the part it says: step 1 assign this show a number 'show01' I noticed the lettering was in black while my hardware utility had it grayed out.

The bottom message says 'the show number will be grayed out and assigned by the trigger input number', however I was not using the trigger input, as I had clearly selected 'plays anytime powered' (for several hours yesterday and this morning while I kept trying to get the director to work I had always selected 'plays anytime powered' or 'plays during scheduled time'). So I canceled my sequence and clicked 'create show' once again, and this time the 'show01' was in black rather than grayed out. I placed my show on the SD card thinking this wouldn't change anything, and you know what? It did, the director finally worked. There was no error message when I plugged the SD card in, the show and lights played on the scheduled time, and I had sound coming out from my speakers.

I'm not sure if any of this makes much since, and in the end this is still fault on my end. However, I can say for sure since yesterday, my configuration has been the same everytime, and only did my very last time before giving up again I noticed 'show01' was grayed out instead of black so I canceled and pressed 'create show' again. I'm just happy is finally working now.

For anyone else that runs into the same problem, hopefully my post can benefit and help you out.

Maybe the lingering problem of some SD cards will not work properly, like Sandisk?

Ken,

This was the SD card that I received with my director unit, Kingston 4gb. I should note that inbetween my 'hardware utility' tests I would still test with Simple show builder and every time using the simple show builder, the lights would turn on during the scheduled time without issue - except still wouldn't have sound. The whole situation is kind of funky/weird, but at least is working now.

Hi Ed,

You could open the SD card in windows explorer and verify that there is the (IIRC) .seq file as well as the mp3 file.

Hey bisquit,

I actually didn't even think about that previously. I just checked and sure enough both .seq and mp3 file is in place.

So if next time I create a show and both of these files are not on the SD card, the director will not be able to read it correctly, right? So my only option would be to keep re-creating the shows until both of the file is successfully written onto the SD card?

I never had that error problem. It might be because I never set the day or the times on the SD card. I simply click "run show continuously" & pick my show & then place it on the cards. I then set the time on the G3 mp3 player. It starts at 7 pm & ends at 9:00 pm for the last week of November & the first week of December, & then I increase the time from 6pm to 9 pm for the second week & then I change it again & run the show from 6pm to 10pm & lastly from 6pm to about 1am Christmas eve & Christmas day.

One important thing to do is to make sure you have the "firmware" updated &  specifically when you get into ccr's & what not. It took me 3 weeks of testing & failing when the word "firmware" stood out & it had nothing to do with the G3 directer unit. I thought I usually always update the firmware on all my Lor stuff except this one time.   The ccr matrix ran perfectly after that.

Some times SD card readers are a bit finicky until they get used a couple of times.

The reader 'pins' are spring loaded, and can sometimes slip out of place during shipping/mfg/etc.  Inserting and ejecting the card a couple of times will usually re-seat the pins into their proper orientation.

• Like 1

So if next time I create a show and both of these files are not on the SD card, the director will not be able to read it correctly, right? So my only option would be to keep re-creating the shows until both of the file is successfully written onto the SD card?

Yes, that is correct. But DevMike's comments are probably the issue in this case, considering both files are on the SD Card,

Bill

I never had that error problem. It might be because I never set the day or the times on the SD card. I simply click "run show continuously" & pick my show & then place it on the cards. I then set the time on the G3 mp3 player. It starts at 7 pm & ends at 9:00 pm for the last week of November & the first week of December, & then I increase the time from 6pm to 9 pm for the second week & then I change it again & run the show from 6pm to 10pm & lastly from 6pm to about 1am Christmas eve & Christmas day.

One important thing to do is to make sure you have the "firmware" updated &  specifically when you get into ccr's & what not. It took me 3 weeks of testing & failing when the word "firmware" stood out & it had nothing to do with the G3 directer unit. I thought I usually always update the firmware on all my Lor stuff except this one time.   The ccr matrix ran perfectly after that.

So your shows never stop inbetween the time and comes alive when you power your controllers? I've also set the time on the G3 mp3 player itself, but I have to use the schedule time function with lights off inbetween due to it being event lighting rather than personal use.

How do I check what version of firmware I currently use/have on my g3-mp3?

Some times SD card readers are a bit finicky until they get used a couple of times.

The reader 'pins' are spring loaded, and can sometimes slip out of place during shipping/mfg/etc.  Inserting and ejecting the card a couple of times will usually re-seat the pins into their proper orientation.

Yes, that is correct. But DevMike's comments are probably the issue in this case, considering both files are on the SD Card,

Bill

I definitely believe that this could be the case, ever since yesterday, everything has been running without issue thus far.

Thanks for everyone's input/help thus far, I really appreciate it.

Ed

So your shows never stop in between the time and comes alive when you power your controllers? I've also set the time on the G3 mp3 player itself, but I have to use the schedule time function with lights off in between due to it being event lighting rather than personal use.

How do I check what version of firmware I currently use/have on my g3-mp3?

Ed

Even though the main internal clock is set to the PC time, I set the other times to come on & then off. I leave the mp3 plugged into the 1st controller with the SD card fully inserted with no lights on & when 7:00pm comes around the show starts until the show shut off time which is 9:00pm for the 1st couple of weeks & then all the lights are off until the next night.

More than likely your firmware is up to date (since you just got the mp3 player) with firmware 5.26. However if you use this mp3 director unit come December the firmware may be updated by then.

You go here for the latest firmware updates.......    Firmware Updates  So in a few months check to see if the firmware changed from 5.26

• The topic was locked