Light-O-Rama Forums

POE power with the ECG P2...

canadianchristmas

Hi everyone, I have been running my p2's with only data coming out and no ground because my P2's and lights are using two different power supplies, the p2's use a POE 24v power supply and the lights use a 12v 360w power supply I made a diagram of how my setup looks. The reason I'm posting this is because everyone says you need the same ground through the whole setup, but my lights run fine, I'm confused please help. Thanks.

I don't know anything about the device in question.  However, PoE is generally 48VDC, not 24VDC.  (The spec actually calls for 44-57VDC)

The standard defines some electrical parameters to be kept in PoE design: 
• Operating voltage is normally 48 Vdc, but it may vary between 44 to 57 Vdc. In any case it should always be under the maximal SELV requirement of 60Vdc. 

I don't know anything about the device in question.  However, PoE is generally 48VDC, not 24VDC.  (The spec actually calls for 44-57VDC)

The standard defines some electrical parameters to be kept in PoE design: 
• Operating voltage is normally 48 Vdc, but it may vary between 44 to 57 Vdc. In any case it should always be under the maximal SELV requirement of 60Vdc. 

I know, I looked at my POE box after posting this, thanks though! :D  

I think that the intent of the question is more about a common ground when using two or more different power sources. I suppose this is more about a signal that originates on one controller that is powered from a PoE (48VDC) to a controller that is powered up from a different power supply (12VDC power supply). I would think that in order for the signal to be interpreted properly a ground would be needed between the two power sources. But there is also the school of thought that says "If it is working ok, dont putz with it.

the ECG-p2 boards have 3 distinct positive power busses all with a common ground power imput can be between 5vdc or 7-40vdc as per manual the poe he is taking about are the passive pins on the Ethernet rj45

Canadianchristmas wondering why are you using two power supplys ? for ECG-p2

I'm using one to power the P2 The POE powers the board, and then theres a 12v supply that power my lights the 12v dose not have anything to do with the board, only data comes from the P2. The second power supply is going to the lights positive and negative wires. 

CanadianChristmas, I believe the people that are telling you need to reference the same - point have confused this setup with the ethernet bridges (i.e. E6804). Yes with ethernet bridges you do need to reference the same ground.  However, Ed's ECG-PPX doesn't work the same way. I am buying and using a few of the ECG-PPX this year. I plan to use the onboard power supply to drive GECEs. However, your supply is huge and I think you are using more pixels that what the ECG-PPX can source voltage.  I think you should tie the - lead of the 12V supply and the - lead of the ECG-PPX output together. This will allow proper timing and current paths. I would not run another wire all the way back to the POE supply to reference that - lead. You could open up some issues with digitial bounce and noise.  I could be wrong. 

I have 2 ECG-P2 powered by 12 volts don't really see the advantage to what your doing

CanadianChristmas, I believe the people that are telling you need to reference the same - point have confused this setup with the ethernet bridges (i.e. E6804). Yes with ethernet bridges you do need to reference the same ground.  However, Ed's ECG-PPX doesn't work the same way. I am buying and using a few of the ECG-PPX this year. I plan to use the onboard power supply to drive GECEs. However, your supply is huge and I think you are using more pixels that what the ECG-PPX can source voltage.  I think you should tie the - lead of the 12V supply and the - lead of the ECG-PPX output together. This will allow proper timing and current paths. I would not run another wire all the way back to the POE supply to reference that - lead. You could open up some issues with digitial bounce and noise.  I could be wrong. 

I'm powering it this way because I accidentally damaged one of me P2's by over powering, it so I got in contact with j1sys and they sent me a replacement board but they said they test and use it with a POE supply so I got the same POE as they have.