Light-O-Rama Forums

Servo Dog (woof!)

Scot Meyers

ANy one use the servo Dog to run RC servos for Animatronics? 

I am looking into using them to Run mine versus using the LOR DC boards.

Any one have any issues that i may need to know about

Two things I wish I knew before I started:

1. Design your animatronic to use the largest servos possible. Only use mini or micro servos if you absolutely have to.

2. Buy the highest torque servos you can afford. Use Kevlar or metal gears if possible. They're a little noisier but last longer.

As for the Servodog, it's pretty straightforward if you take the time to read and reread the manual. It's designed for servo control so it works well.

Thanks Bob.  the only thing i would use min or micro servos for ar for pingpong ball eye movement.  the rest of the motion i would use kevelar or metal gear servos fo long durability. 

Edited by Scot Meyers

When you get your Animatronic built, Track Skull software is very handy to use for programming the movement, and it can be exported to LOR or DMX when you're done with it...

Having said that, when using Track Skull software, decide if your "export" destination will be DMX (1-255) or LOR (1-100) and set the limits of your servos in Track Skull accordingly... 

• Like 1

What's a good resource for how to build animatronics?

Google search has not helped me much on this...or I have become too impatient going to all the websites that only sell the parts and not a site that actually shows how to build something.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm late to this topic, but wanted to add my experience.

I have used cheap, standard size servos in my puppet's skull with great success.  These were $9 to $13. I used micro servos for the eyes.  It has operated for many many hours continuously without fail.

I am currently printing arms for it - those I will use 1/4 scale servos for - but they seem a bit slow by comparison.

• The topic was locked