Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping arch

Steelers95

So you never push the pixel entirely through the pex, just insert it into the back and leave the front of the pex alone?

So you never push the pixel entirely through the pex, just insert it into the back and leave the front of the pex alone?

Yes, you are correct. I try to push the pixel in to about the mounting tabs, since that's the widest point along the body of it.

Ahhh, I see, said the blind man. So the lights shine thru the PEX? It looks pretty opaque.

I sold my other arches & I am making either two 50 pixel arches or three at 33 pixels, or four 25 pixel arches ......just haven't decided yet. I have the ccps so I am good to go. If your just getting into musical shows the pixel route is the "new way" to go.  Whether, arches, mega trees, Marty Fans, Star Bursts, Fireworks..........  pixels &  pixel controllers are the way to go.

I am going this route (material wise) to make my arches. If I am make two arches then I am going to fasten the lawn edging to the 8ft trampoline 1/2s I used last year for a nice {arch} look. If I go 25 pixel arches this lawn edging is should be sturdy enough even in snow. (Sturdiness is important in snowy climate like where I live).  Here are the links to these type of arches.......    

I haven't been able to find that 1"  or more Pex tubing here in (Alberta) at either Lowes or Home Depot , so I may need to find a plumbing store. However, if needs be I will use "White Dryer vent tubing" to help disperse the light better. 

Edited by lightzilla

• 3 weeks later...

I just built 2 arches using the above videos with dumb LEDS and have to say they came pretty good. Seem sturdy enough for snow and I haven't even used the spray foam yet. They were a breeze to build. The wiring to the controller was the most time consuming part. Not sure how I'm gonna anchor it yet but that should be easy.

Arches can use the cheap LED lights that can be found on-sale everywhere & found online here for a fraction of their original price.  The reason is when chasing or flashing, the flicker isn't a factor.  If I were to leave mine on study for any length of time, THEN it becomes an issue.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my version of Ron's CCP arches, just tested out laying against the wall in the cellar

i used the lawn edging and ran a pc of 1/2 pvc conduit through the lawn edging came out great

I like the diffused look of the PEX tubing. I used my 1/2 PVC from my incandecent arches, put elbows on each end and used some 1/2" emt I had laying around for the piece in the middle, a little black paint and cheap frames, then zip tied the pex to the frame.

• 1 year later...

Ditto the 3/4" PVC. Grey electrical PVC works best for me. I didn't use the sleeve method, but if I was to do it again, I probably would. I also secure them using a 2' long piece of 1/2" rebar pounded into the ground at each end of the arch. You'll want to try a few with the rebar pounded in at different distances apart to get the shape you prefer.

My recommendation would be an odd number of channels on each arch. I've sequenced everything between five and nine channel arches and the odd numbers definitely give quite a few more options and IMO far better-looking effects. I recommend seven channels.

I used 3/4 pvc sleves cu to about 13/14 inchs and wrapped with 100 count mini lights for each section.

I started with 8 sections on 1/2 inch pvc but changed it to 7 sections so I can start or stop something in the center top instead of having 2 sections of it lite at once. I did start with just wrapping a 8 ft section of pvc with 8 sections of lights about 1 ft each but changed it...  

the Slip section method is much better as if I need to do repairs it is so much easier to change them out.. So this year I have seven section archs about 8 ft long to slide over 1/2 inch pvc..

If I have problems I have extra sections and in about 5 or less min I can change a section and be back in business again..

I to used rebar ( Home depot) for a couple bucks for 18 inchs) pounded into the ground to slide the ends of my pvc onto.

Remember... be very careful around the pounded in PVC... we dont want to hear you slipped and fell on it...

I got safety covers ( also Home depot) that I use anytime they are not covered... better to take a few extra seconds and stay safe then to try to save 20 seconds and be sorry..

Pixels are not my favorite, I think it makes it look to much like a Madonna concert, and yes in total cost it is a bit cheaper, however you will spend 100 times more time in sequencing pixels. I made my arches with led's, 8 channels in each arch(4 of them). 32 strings times $4 each string bought off someone on here, $128, 2 controllers at mad grab$360, that's $488 for 4 arches $122 each arch. granted only one color white . but I will also only spend a tenth of the time sequncing my songs.

Plus pixels and ccr are not Christmas lights in my book, while I can appreciate why people like them just not my taste.

Plus pixels and ccr are not Christmas lights in my book, while I can appreciate why people like them just not my taste.

lol..let's see how long that lasts...  :rolleyes:

lol..let's see how long that lasts... :rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes all you want but It will last forever, I really have no desire to ever get into them, ever. I like the traditional lights only. Been putting them up for 30 years. Everything else is not Christmas to me, Pixels and ccrs ruin Christmas displays to me, but people should do what ever they like.

I like the traditional lights only. Been putting them up for 30 years.

Wow!!  I'm impressed you are still using these after all these years!!!  :D

• Like 1

I really have no desire to ever get into them, ever. I like the traditional lights only.

You might want to stock up because the incandescent bulb will be no more soon.

You might want to stock up because the incandescent bulb will be no more soon.

I don't think this pertains to Christmas lights...per the first line:

Governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting

I've had enough incandescent bulbs on my house that they were generally lighting my yard.  :lol:

• Like 1