Light-O-Rama Forums

Holiday Coro DIY RGB LED Floods with DMX Controller

Maine Lights

Sorry if this has been covered many times.  I am new to the DMX world and I was looking to add floods to the front of the house for my Christmas display.  Came Across the Holiday Coro RGB LED floods with DMX controller.  They seems pretty cheap and seeing I would only need 5 to cover the front of the house it loos like it would be pretty simple.  But I am wondering what additional supplies will I need besides the housings and how had is it to hook up to LOR and program.  any help would be greatly appreciated and if any other vendors for this type of lighting would be great.  Thanks in advance!

ah! well this is how I do it : I run a separate rs485 jack from a separate port on the computer, then into Holiday Coro Acti-dongle, then to Seasonal Entertainments

Blender, ( this combines both the dmx and the power from the power supply into 1 4-core waterproof cable), this then goes out through the window to the floods. Of

course my floods are the Rainbow Extreme's which require the 4 core wire.  I know you can do it a cheaper way but I wanted to be able to expand in the future. You just

need to do some more reading on the Holiday Coro site. Lots of info there. Be aware that the Acti-dongle only sopports 1 512-ch. universe. So what YOU would need

looks like- a DMX dongle of some type, a power supply, cat-5 cable, a rs-485 (one that runs LOR, and one for the DMX),5 3-way spliters, and at least 4 more chunks

of cat-5 cable that runs between each of your flood lights, (you will have to daisey chain them.)also don't forget to shrink-wrap your connections.And you will also

have to learn to solder unless you already know how to do this. Really you just need to read more before jumping in it's kinda more fun that way-  Good Luck!!

Big  Joe

Maine Lights if you only want 5 rgb floods and not really dmx just use lor's flood lights and their dc board

How would that work. I guess my big question for either is how do you connect them to the lor software or would I need additional software?

Actually fairly simple.  You will need either a crossover cable or a dmx dongle as well. If you are referencing David's flood kit you will also need the housings.  David has available a dmx dongle that is entec pro combatable (works with all other standard dmx stuff.  Floods are very easy to deal with starting with RGB.  As posted above also available from Seasonal Entertainment are there floods (the regular rainbow flood has about the same output as David's) and  work well with there rainbow brain (allows up to 5 flood to be controlled with that one controller).

Once into RGB get ready for LOTS of changes to your display.

If you use the lor dc board and anybodys rgb floods then you just run cat5 cable from lor controller to dc board and that's it

Thanks for all the help.  So I just saw the LOR Spring Sale info...if I go with the 8 LOR RGB Floods and the LOR power supply that is all I would need to tie it into the software.  I would just have to daisy chain the DMX controller into the loop.  How would I add the LOR DMX controller to the sequence editor?

The cmb-24d board can be connected to the 16 channel controllers with cat-5 cable if only running the floods then it does not have to be dmx controlled in the sequence editor you give Id # to the dc board then select convert channel 1-2-3 to rgb that will control first flood second flood will be 4-5-6 channels and so on the 24 channel controller can control 8 rgb floods each take 3 channels

What is everyone's thoughts on the 10watt led floods from lor? Are they any good?

10w rgb leds put out a fair amount of light and work well for most people.  A lot depends how big an area does it need to cover and how bright do you want, especially for big light moments like lightning.

• 3 months later...

I can e-mail anyone a copy of my wiring diagrams using an Enttec Pro dongle and LOR. I am using both LOR and DMX on a small scale but it works flawlessly

Edited by rmturner54

, then to Seasonal Entertainments

Blender, ( this combines both the dmx and the power from the power supply into 1 4-core waterproof cable), this then goes out through the window to the floods.

If someone needs a Blender, I have one I'm not using that you can have for the price of the postage.

• The topic was locked