Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Pass Through?

eurbani

I have seen discussions about the unused pairs being used to pass line-level sound and as a closed-loop alarm.

I was playing around with my gen3 CTB16PC controllers and unable to get anything "through" the controller on the unused pairs (brown/brown-white and orange/orange-white), but no luck.

I had some time today, pulled out the multi-meter and found that there is no continuity on those pairs.  I.e: brown does not pass through to brown, orange does not pass through to orange....

Is this something new with gen 3 controllers?

Any ideas?

I remember those threads as well.

I have three different controllers that are not running my evening show as I type this. One is a ServoDog and the second is a CTB-08, and the last is a CCP100D (Cosmic Color Pixels). First checked the ServoDog and I found no connection except for pins 4 & 5 (data network), and pins 3 & 6 (power and ground). Tried every possible combination of all the remaining pins - nothing. Then I tried the CTB-08. On that one I only had to look to see the traces between pin 1 on each of the two RJ-45 jacks and a second trace between pin 2 of the two jacks. A DVM confirmed what my old eyes told me. Last I checked the CCP controller. It was just like the ServoDog - no connection on pins 1, 2, 7, or 8. Tomorrow I will check the other two types - CMB16D (DC controller), and older 16 channel AC controller. I will report my findings.

Interesting.  I only have the 16 channel solder kit boards. This is the first I have heard of this, non-pass through of pins 1,  2, 7, and 8. Suppose if I wanted or needed  for these pins to pass through from one RJ-45 socket to the next. I would just use some wire wrap wire that is 30 ga or maybe as large as 24 gauge wire and just solder on some jumpers. problem solved.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked