Light-O-Rama Forums

Anticiiii.......pa.......tion!

tallan

Hey Everyone,

Well Just after 9am EST on Friday and I was browsing around the forums and noticed that just about all the posters are online!

I had to laugh! That's something you don't see everyday. I did see that Lightorama Dan did post at 8:30ish in a forum unrealted to LOR II though. At least we know he is up.

I hope something happens soon.

Ted

(standing in front of a window at LOR headquarters)

Open, Open, Open!!!!!!!!

(the mob behind me is getting excited with the store opening in less than an hr)

Yea know, I can understanding not wanting to disclose a release date. Dan mentioned before he wasn't going to make any more predictions or promises in terms of the release. I get that, I really do.

But, I'm not sure I understand the benefit *at all* of watching us all scurry about the forums and LOR main site hitting refresh... if the company already knows they *aren't* releasing it today.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would be great customer service to just answer the question: yes or no. Is it coming out today or not. If not then let us move on with our day. If yes, great. Let us move on with the rest of our day. No one is forcing us to be here... I get it.... but most of us *are* here waiting because of how exciting LORII is going to be for us.

I for one am going to just be p-off'd if the day comes and goes without a note from Dan or one of the other admins. Clearly this is an important issue for the majority of users, and it is kind of a slap in the face to answer a question about mini lights and not address what all of us want to hear - an update. Who cares what the update actually is. We just want an update. Silence is both painful, but also disrespectful of a loyal customer base.

Ok, back to work. And yes, I'll be back in 10 minutes hitting refresh on my screen like most everyone else.

There were no public posts by LOR that said anything about a release today.

While I'd appreciate more information just like anybody else - the fact that someone started a rumor, that, as evidenced by other fake threads, could have basis in truth or be purely a leg-pull, doesn't obligate LOR to any sort of an announcement...

I've got an idea: How about we pretend we don't know anything about LOR II's release. Pretend it's supposed to come out in 8 months. Better yet, pretend you don't have a clue that it's even being worked on. Then if it comes out today or tomorrow or next week or whenever, we can be pleasantly surprised.

Some of these threads have been fun, but I'm starting to tire of all the incessant speculation and whining and PLEASE TELL US type threads (this isn't directed at anybody in particular...)

-Tim

Bottom Line - It will be released some day. Maybe not today, but someday.

Really at this point in the season, I wouldn't use LOR-II for my display this year. A lot of unknowns when you release new software. Being a Electronic Manufacturing Engineer (over 20 years) I know that any software change during a critical time is asking for trouble. All the debugging and testing in the world just doesn't cover everything that can happen in the real world.

BTW: This maybe a stupid question, but is there a cost for this upgrade? I know update are free, but I can't recall a thread if there is an actual cost.

Tim Fischer wrote:

There were no public posts by LOR that said anything about a release today.

While I'd appreciate more information just like anybody else - the fact that someone started a rumor, that, as evidenced by other fake threads, could have basis in truth or be purely a leg-pull, doesn't obligate LOR to any sort of an announcement...

I've got an idea: How about we pretend we don't know anything about LOR II's release. Pretend it's supposed to come out in 8 months. Better yet, pretend you don't have a clue that it's even being worked on. Then if it comes out today or tomorrow or next week or whenever, we can be pleasantly surprised.

Some of these threads have been fun, but I'm starting to tire of all the incessant speculation and whining and PLEASE TELL US type threads (this isn't directed at anybody in particular...)

-Tim

I definitely hear what you're saying Tim - and for months I've personally been ignoring most of the threads anyway.

But then we have a beta-tester come out and say it is being released. It isn't much of a stretch to think of beta-testers as "in the know" with their secret access to beta discussion forums, etc. In fact, almost as if they are working for the company right now. They got a tee shirt, and access to the beta software, but essentially working for LOR. And if a beta tester thinks its funny to post a release date that is completely made up, and hasn't owned up to that, in my eyes it is *still* a reflection on the company.

If I emailed Mary right now and she wrote back "yea medman it is coming out in a few days" -- maybe she should have said it or maybe she shouldn't have said it - but as a representative of the company she said it. I'd expect Dan or another admin to set the record straight, not just sit back and ignore the issue.

Beta testers have been great to share some of the screen shots, and answer questions. Really much appreciated. But if a beta tester is sharing false information as a joke or otherwise, and now a majority of the LOR community is fretting about it, someone explain to me what harm would come from Dan or someone just saying "no it isn't coming out"?

I was approached via email by one of the main LOR competitors, who actually said they would "work out a deal" to purchase my current LOR equipment. Maybe that's because I spend a lot of money on this, maybe not. But this other company already has most of the functioning that LORII is supposed to bring, and I'm trying to stay loyal to LOR, and we're (as a group) sincerely asking only one question: Is it today? And that's not a fair question to ask?

This just doesn't feel good as an LOR customer. And *that's* what should matter the most to this company.

Just my 10 cents worth.

I hear what you're saying. But...

I work with beta testers all the time, as we develop the product that I work on for a living. And I can tell you that, at least in our case, betas may be more "in the know" than the average user, but they are NOT privy to many things: design decisions, release dates and corporate rationale, etc. We may tell the betas "we're getting closer to release, so if you find any more issues, report them promptly...", but to my knowledge we've never said "The product will ship on Tuesday..."

In most cases, betas are also bound by NDA (nondisclosure agreement). I have no idea what the case is with LOR, but with the product I work on, they're not supposed to talk about the fact there IS an upcoming upgrade (even though we put one out annually), much less what features are in them.

We've even had the case with our product where we've had a beta "go hostile" when they didn't get their way with a feature request and started badmouthing the company. They were immediatly removed from the beta program.

The long and short of it is, the betas don't work for the company. They are volunteer, unpaid testers. They are crucial to helping to debug and forumlate the product. But any rumors they start should simply be considered rumors...

-Tim

But it is still poor customer service to ignore customer concerns. Which is a surprise when customer service has been a strong point for LOR.

Everyone is right, it will come out when it comes out.

If I called Target right now and asked if Guitar Hero 7 is released yet, or on their shelves, they'd say no. If I asked if it were coming out later today, they'd say no. If I asked when it were coming out they'd say they don't know.

I don't need to ask LOR if it is out yet because I know that. We're asking if it is coming out today, and we get no answer. They've already told us they aren't going to give us a release date in the future (which is fine, because they've disclosed that).

Oh well. We all have our individual choices to make if this type of experience is "ok" or "not ok" in terms of customer loyalty. Of course that will be a different personal choice for everyone, not to be judged.

Back to work again :D

medman2000 wrote:

But it is still poor customer service to ignore customer concerns. Which is a surprise when customer service has been a strong point for LOR.

Oh well. We all have our individual choices to make if this type of experience is "ok" or "not ok" in terms of customer loyalty. Of course that will be a different personal choice for everyone, not to be judged.

The way I see it, they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

We've already seen the "damned if they don't" aspect.

But if they came out today, and said "frankly we don't know if we're going to make it this season. The software is ready, but the docu is not, but not sure we can handle the call volumes that a new release would entail*", it would start a firestorm of posts, some pleading, some angry of people basically DEMANDING that they release the product NOW since it's ready. They'd say "screw the docu, we don't need it". And they'd say "Don't worry about support -- we'll figure it out on our own!" But those same people will be the first in line to cry, beg, plead, and possibly bitch if they have issues with LOR II in their show. And LOR possibly stands to take a PR hit if a major display goes down because of a perceived LOR II issue...

I hope it comes out soon. I'd like more info myself. But I"m not losing any sleep over it, like some seem to be...

-Tim

*I totally made that up. I have no inside knowledge or even speculation that this is really the case

Tim it is not a rumor. I received the email last night as well as other BETA testers. It did not state the time it said Friday. So let me once again say it was no rumor and I personally resent that you or anyone else consider it a rumor. In fact, it was verified by another BETA tester that posted if first. Apology accepted.:D

Robin wrote:

Tim it is not a rumor. I received the email last night as well as other BETA testers. It did not state the time it said Friday. So let me once again say it was no rumor and I personally resent that you or anyone else consider it a rumor. In fact, it was verified by another BETA tester that posted if first. Apology accepted.:)

Robin,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply it was a rumor. I guess I was just saying that until Dan or John or some other LOR representative comes on and makes a public announcement, I don't think people should be screaming for a release or explanation. I have no idea if Dan intended that information to become public-- as I tried to explain in an earlier post, the in beta program I'm familiar with (my company's), you don't say ANYTHING about the beta software or process to anyone outside the program.

I guess I'm just trying to tell people to lay off and chill, and evidently am annoying beta testers in the process :(

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

"There were no public posts by LOR that said anything about a release today.

While I'd appreciate more information just like anybody else - the fact that someone started a rumor, that, as evidenced by other fake threads, could have basis in truth or be purely a leg-pull, doesn't obligate LOR to any sort of an announcement..."

"...the fact that someone started a rumor..." does not in any way "imply" any thing.

You stated it as a fact that Poodude or who ever first posted created a rumor. Now many of us have the email and you owe him an apology. That is unless you know something no one else knows?

Tim Fischer wrote:

I guess I'm just trying to tell people to lay off and chill, and evidently am annoying beta testers in the process :(

-Tim

Hey Tim,

So that's what your doing! :D

You may have to break out the..... Dare I say..... Wet noodle! :)

It is a Friday afternoon and I know how I get on Friday afternoons ;)
(exspecially pay day Friday afternoons like today) :(

I am sorry for all the suspense. I have been talking about LOR II for a long time. There have been a number of potential release dates in the past and I did not want to make any public announcement until I was 100% sure… I received the installer an hour ago and installed it on my machine.

I will post a link to a Gamma version of LORII in about an hour. There will be an announcement in the LOR II forum.

LightORamaDan wrote:

I am sorry for all the suspense. I have been talking about LOR II for a long time. There have been a number of potential release dates in the past and I did not want to make any public announcement until I was 100% sure… I received the installer an hour ago and installed it on my machine.

I will post a link to a Gamma version of LORII in about an hour. There will be an announcement in the LOR II forum.

WOW! I can almost feel it!!!!