Light-O-Rama Forums

multicast or unicast

aemnky

The biggest advantage of multi-cast is it's a little easier to configure. This is particularly if you're NOT a networking geek. The biggest disadvantage of multicast is if you are operating on the same network as the rest of your computer stuff and you are using WiFi, the multi-cast can choke your WiFi (especially an older one). Uni-cast requires a little more effort to set up, but will improve network performance. In the current Sandevices firmware, you can also drive more pixels with uni-cast 12 vs 7 universes).

I used multi-cast in 2012 but moved to uni-cast when it became available in 2013. Today I run one E6804 year round and the second one will get added shortly. For Christmas 2012 & 2013 I added one E682, and for 2014 there will be a second one.

I run my show computer with two nic cards so it's all off my house network. So I guess with that info I'm going to run in unicast. Don't see any difference this year for me.  But if all goes good for this year, I will have to run Unicast next year because of the increase of pixels. 

Stick with unicast, even with two nic card on my system too, windows has a tough time pushing the info only down the one line for some reason.  Worked on it for weeks with a few very good networking geeks,and could never get win 8 or 8.1 to push only down line.

The way I ran my Unicast this passed year was to turn off the Wi-Fi on the show PC (Laptop) This way, I had zero interference with the normal Home network and not to mention, I waited until after the new year to do any updates to that PC.

No internet, no updates, no anti-virus, no malware software.I turned everything off except for the show.