Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom length CCR's

scrobbyd

I would like to know if it is possible to get custom link CCR's? I have 2 18 foot runs on my house and as you know CCR's only come in 16 feet.

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I don't think that is possible with CCR's. I would think the controller would be looking for a certain amount of pixels that comes in each strip.

I'm no expert at this but there might also be a power issue since the power supply is designed for 16ft the pixels might not achieve full brightness adding the extra length

• 4 weeks later...

You will need to investigate going to smart pixel strings and utilize another board to interface with LOR software.  You can purchase smart pixel strings and design and get the 18 ft.  length you need,   Check out Scandisk E682 or 6804 as LOR chances of expanding on the CCR design not likely.  You will have to get a power supply separate and add another network to run this outside of the current LOR controlled network, but it can work very well and open you up to a whole new world of lights. 

• Like 1

I agree with JD.  The CCRs are great but you can't cut them or customize them at all.  I'd suggest running 12v 2811 strips from Ray WU and control them with a SanDevices e682 controller.  You can run 16 50 pixel strips using one controller and power supply.

I agree with JD.  The CCRs are great but you can't cut them or customize them at all.  I'd suggest running 12v 2811 strips from Ray WU and control them with a SanDevices e682 controller.  You can run 16 50 pixel strips using one controller and power supply.

Marsh

That's not entirely true.  I cut mine and they work just fine. I customized mine into  figure 8s around my windows.  There certainly are cheaper routes.  They are the most expensive way to go.  I do think they could be extended longer if you changed the resolution from a single pixel, to controlling 2 pixels at a time.  I do believe theoretically that you could connect two ribbons together and change the resolution and operate them with a single controller. I have read that you most likely would end up with a color issue at the end farthest from the controller, but most likely would work if you added less than 2 complete ribbons together.  Again, maybe not a great idea because of the price, but could be done.  I am not good at searching the forums, but am pretty sure someone did it. 

Bottom line from my perspective is that I agree with you to investigate other routes -why spend all the money for CCRs just to void the warranty and alter them.  But as plug and play goes, nothing is easier than CCR or CCP's.

Steve

If you're looking into pixel strips, might want to check out Holiday Coro. They just had the first of two pre-sales with some nice pricing on strips. Plus they have a lot of info on their website about designs and stuff to think about in your design.

• The topic was locked