Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Requirements

RaceMedic

Can someone direct me to where I can look into computer specs to make sure I have what I need.

Unless I am searching wrong ( which is probably the case ) I can't find anything.

Last year I had 4 PC controllers, 2 DC controllers and 2 CCRs.

This year I am adding 1400 pixels using a E682 sandevice.

I have a duo core 2.2GHz 4.0 GB 64 bit machine

I am worried about it not being modern enough and causing lags.

Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated !

Thanks,

Dave

PS .. I should add that it will be over 10 universes though not all the universes are a full 170 pixels

Edited by RaceMedic

I was using a laptop with about the same as yours last year. I added 8 CCP's to my show  and I was getting lag in the visualizer. Mainly in my ccp pixel tree. I bought a new show computer with 16 gigs of ram and have done sequencing with it and I've not had any lags in the visualizer. Yet!!!! I must say my new computer is a Windows 8 machine. I think the ram is the big thing, although I my be wrong. All I can say is that it has helped me out.

If you are using a different computer for sequencing vs running the show, the show computer does not need to be all that fast.  Sequencing and visualizer takes far more horsepower.  My show computer is far less than what you are running and had no problem running the show.  My sequencing computer is roughly comparable to what you listed in post #1.

my show runs off a low horsepower laptop. My sequencing is done on a new speedy all-in-one. The hard part of this is keeping things synchronized so all your software versions and all your latest edits are identical. And since Windows Homegroups is useless, you need a fast "sneaker-net" connection. ;)

Part of the equation is how you plan to control lights. Other than that, I would say go with Win7, I5 Proc, 8 gigs memory minimum, 250 gig 7200RPM (Performance increase here) Hard drive, A good video card if you are going to setup the Visualizer. I just set the display up in late late august-early September and go sit in front of the house between the hours of 11p to 4:30am and sequence like crazy. Any Channel/cord changes are noted and if it is still warm, changed. Then more sequencing until songs are complete. I spend enough time in front of a computer for a living and at home with the network.

my show runs off a low horsepower laptop. My sequencing is done on a new speedy all-in-one. The hard part of this is keeping things synchronized so all your software versions and all your latest edits are identical. And since Windows Homegroups is useless, you need a fast "sneaker-net" connection. ;)

Sneaker-net works, but there are better ways.  Either run a network share from some computer that is always on (or at least always when you care).  For example my show computer is always on (year round because I use LOR for landscape lighting) so I could always store the files on the show computer.  In my case I have a file server, so both this computer (where I normally sequence) and the show computer always look for the network shared drive.

Another option is to use some cloud based storage such as Dropbox or Google Drive.  The down side to that is that if your internet connection fails, the show can't run.

In either of these cases, you will still need to do version updates on each computer (unless you run the programs off a shared drive as well).

K6ccc,

I am interested in how you are using LOR for landscape lighting. I have plans to bring in the DMX Floods from Ray or LOR. I would want the colors to change in these over a 2-3 hour period.

Also.  does anyone know if the DMX floods are able to change the DMX address on them?

thx

Sneaker-net works, but there are better ways.  Either run a network share from some computer that is always on (or at least always when you care).  For example my show computer is always on (year round because I use LOR for landscape lighting) so I could always store the files on the show computer.  In my case I have a file server, so both this computer (where I normally sequence) and the show computer always look for the network shared drive.

Another option is to use some cloud based storage such as Dropbox or Google Drive.  The down side to that is that if your internet connection fails, the show can't run.

In either of these cases, you will still need to do version updates on each computer (unless you run the programs off a shared drive as well).

Kiplorenzo,

OK, here goes. First of all, I have 17 roses along a wall. There is scollupped edging in front of each rose. On the back side of the edging is about 2.5 feet of WS2811 RGB strip. Next there are three brick tree rings that each have 5 meters of RGB dumb strip. Next up is the brick steps up to the front porch. Each of the steps has RGB dump strip on the underside of the overhang at the front of each step. Next there are 2 brick columns next to where the walkway will be built shortly from the sidewalk to the front porch. Each column has a RGB light on top and one has a really nice RGB lit address sign. There is a bay window on the front of the house that has 3 down lights in the top. Lastly the front porch light is controlled.

During the year-round "show" the roses and tree rings fade in patterns. The lights under the steps are very dim, but when a someone approaches the steps, the lights fade up for a while. When I get the walkway built it will also have WS2811 strip that will fade up as a person walks up the walkway. Lastly a 32 foot long planter next to the sidewalk will shortly have WS2811 strip on both inside edges. Currently is is just over 80 channels. When completed it will be close to 200. For minor holidays the RGB lights run different colors - for example last Friday the yard was all red, white, and mostly pink. It will be green for St. Patty's day.

K6ccc,

How are you sequencing this in LOR? The think I am looking at is some of the color changes to a sunset... I will need the colors to change from say 4:45p through til Dark (around 6p)

I was looking at DMX Control software as I have an old Leprecon Dimmer board  and programming it for fades, scenes etc is really easy. Can't use that for the outside though as it is tied up in my home theater.

Kiplorenzo, OK, here goes. First of all, I have 17 roses along a wall. There is scollupped edging in front of each rose. On the back side of the edging is about 2.5 feet of WS2811 RGB strip. Next there are three brick tree rings that each have 5 meters of RGB dumb strip. Next up is the brick steps up to the front porch. Each of the steps has RGB dump strip on the underside of the overhang at the front of each step. Next there are 2 brick columns next to where the walkway will be built shortly from the sidewalk to the front porch. Each column has a RGB light on top and one has a really nice RGB lit address sign. There is a bay window on the front of the house that has 3 down lights in the top. Lastly the front porch light is controlled. During the year-round "show" the roses and tree rings fade in patterns. The lights under the steps are very dim, but when a someone approaches the steps, the lights fade up for a while. When I get the walkway built it will also have WS2811 strip that will fade up as a person walks up the walkway. Lastly a 32 foot long planter next to the sidewalk will shortly have WS2811 strip on both inside edges. Currently is is just over 80 channels. When completed it will be close to 200. For minor holidays the RGB lights run different colors - for example last Friday the yard was all red, white, and mostly pink. It will be green for St. Patty's day.

The roses, tree rings, columns, bay window and front porch lights are on a music sequence that has 4 minutes of silence.  The show starts at 4:00 PM, but does not start until it gets dark - using a light sensor going into an input port of a ServoDog.  The porch step strips are controlled by an animation sequence as an interactive group.

From a hardware standpoint, the WS2811s on the roses are controlled by a SanDevices 6804.  The bay window and porch lights are on a LOR AC controller.  Everything else is on LOR DC controllers.

• The topic was locked