Light-O-Rama Forums

Voice overs

kellyhaglund

I'm currently doing my own. I don't have any extra money to spend on something like that. Beside, I've been told I have a radio voice (or was that a radio face?). Anyway, one thing I've seen that was pretty cool is having a child do some. I'm having my daughter, who's 11, do a couple for me. She's excited about it and I'm sure it will sound very cute. If that's not an option, find a friend with a great voice and ask them to do them for you. Lot's of options.

TomD wrote:

I'm currently doing my own. I don't have any extra money to spend on something like that. Beside, I've been told I have a radio voice (or was that a radio face?). Anyway, one thing I've seen that was pretty cool is having a child do some. I'm having my daughter, who's 11, do a couple for me. She's excited about it and I'm sure it will sound very cute. If that's not an option, find a friend with a great voice and ask them to do them for you. Lot's of options.

Finding a friend with a great voice has been a challenge for me. I even did radio in college, and I think I have a horrible radio voice. It's passable when doing just general DJ stuff, but when trying to make professional-sounding announcements, everyone expects this deep, resounding baritone which I just don't have, and neither do most people I'd be able to mooch off of for free. And if I'm going to pay someone anyway, DementedElf's prices are about as cheap as one could expect to pay...

About 4 years ago I had some voiceovers done by Chuck Brown at professionalvoicetalent.com. This was before DementedElf was around, and Chuck cut me a great deal from his regular prices but it was a lot more than what the elf is now charging... I'm planning on having mine redone next year. For this year, I'm just remixing them to new music (I had Chuck just give me dry vocals which I put to my own music beds).

The child idea is cool, depending on the flavor of your display. If you have a santa-themed display, I think it makes perfect sense, for example (call them an elf or something). For some reason I've never seen that fit for our display, even though I could mooch off my 12yo nephew... I think it depends on the child, though. I've heard one local display have a child read the gospel message and it was painful to listen to...

-Tim

The other issue besides a good radio voice is good recording equipment. A lot of folks (me included) have attempted to record via a computer headset or camcorder mic with terrible results. I can Audacity with the best of them, but if the recording is full of huff and puffs and ambient echos, nothing can help it.

As with anything, the tools make a huge difference.

I agree with Tim about the Demented Elf. His audio recordings are probably as good as you can get. I just don't have the money. I'm on a pretty tight budget. That's part of the reason I only have 16 channels of LOR. And that stretched me quite a bit. I'm doing the Audacity with a headset thing, and it's really tough to eliminate the huffs and puffs. But somehow I'll find a way. As far as the kid's voice, I think it was Lindsay Lights that used a child. I thought it sounded great, so I'm gonna try it with my daughter this year. At least I have the deep bass voice if I need to use it. If it doesn't come out great, I'll keep the voiceovers to a bare minimum and let the music play.

If any one is interested, my wife is a DJ at one of the local radio stations, and records many voice overs, and comercials and the like, as well as here regular on air shifts.

If you would like a Female Voice over, feel free to contact me.

She has full access to the studio to do any voice over work, and would not take long at all.

Thanks,

Scott

I agree with Jeff. Kevin, The Dementedelf does a great job. It would be hard to find anyone who could do a better job and you can't beat his prices. He could charge twice as much and it would still be worth it. (Kevin, please forget that last line:cool:)He has several packages depending on what you want and your budget.

Alan

TomD wrote:

I'm doing the Audacity with a headset thing, and it's really tough to eliminate the huffs and puffs. But somehow I'll find a way.

I don't know whst kind of mic you're using, but see if you can find a wind screen for it. Radio Shack carries a few. That will cut down on some of it.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
Mountainwxman wrote:
Kevin... good to see you over here!:)

Yep! And good to hear your voice over my Ramsey too!

J

Ditto!:)

Thanks guys. I just found out about this forum a couple of days ago.

I'm pleased to say that I have become a recent client of Kevin's.

The voiceovers are high quality, contain the message I wanted to convey and the response from Kevin was unbelievable.

Wow, wow, wow.

Now we will see if my display is worthy of them.

Tom B (the other one)

I as well have become a recent client of Kevin's and all I can say is WOW. His work is unbelievable!! Everyone that listens to it cannot believe how wonderful he is, it gives you goosebumps. Fantasic service, and his prices are awesome too!

Thanks Kevin!

Joe

Just wanted to let everyone one know, I recieved my voice overs in record time and they are awesome. I can't wait to start the show! Thanks Kevin for the great job.

Kelbee fm 103.7 in Boise

• 6 months later...

I know this topic is old, but I had to put my 2 cents in.......I just received my voiceovers for 2008 from the Demented Elf and they are AMAZING!! What a perfect way to make your show more professional. I was shocked at all the voiceovers you get for a mere $50. If anyone is sitting on the fence about doing this or not, I say DO IT!! You will not be disappointed.

Thats a BIG 10-4 on using Kevin Dunn - The Demented Elf for your voice overs. Kevin has done several projects for me including telephone systems - and his voice is always so crisp and clear - and don't forget creative!

Give him a ring - www.dementedelf.com you'll be real glad you did - something else you won't have to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...