Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editorr not keeping beat!

Roman A. Gurule Jr.

When I'm in the sequence editor working on a song I will sometimes look to the left where the channel names are located and watch the color blink on and off with the beat. I notice that it misses like every other beat. It also does the same thing when I'm looking at the animation screen as well.

It's kinda hard to make sure that I get all the beats when it does this. Just wondering if someone has a fix.

Thanks

Roman

Guest wbottomley

Roman A. Gurule Jr. wrote:

When I'm in the sequence editor working on a song I will sometimes look to the left where the channel names are located and watch the color blink on and off with the beat. I notice that it misses like every other beat. It also does the same thing when I'm looking at the animation screen as well.

It's kinda hard to make sure that I get all the beats when it does this. Just wondering if someone has a fix.

Thanks

Roman

Sounds like you're using an mp3 file with variable bit rate. Convert it to a wav file and you should be set.

This can be caused by the performance of the PC. Reduce the number of things the Sequence Editor is doing. Display fades as ramps, turn off the highlighting of the current event. These things may help. The good news is that it is very rare that the actual show exhibits any timing issues. If the sequence is correct the show works.

The performance of the computer has ALOT to do with it. I have been loaned a VERY old and VERY slow laptop that I will be using to run the shows. The laptop that I do all the work on is a Pentium 4, 3.3ghz, with a gig of ram. The one it will be running on is... wait for it... A Pentium 2, 365 MHz, with 192 meg of ram (64 meg of shared video ram). Needless to say on this "soon to be doorstop" the lights skip and jump and look terrible UNLESS I turn off "Move grid with Play", "Vary color of channel buttons", "Highlight current event", "Highlight current Time". THEN the lights will go as sequenced. BUT it does work.

BTW the Show Editor and Schedule Editor work fine and the shows play on time and run just as they should. If nothing else this might qualify as "minimum requirements".

The funny thing is the ones that I had done last year are working fine and not missing a beat.. The one I am inquiring about is just the beat track. Seems like the complete one would have more problems than just the beat track of a new song.:)

I also have twice the computer I had last year. Seems weird.

Roman

I have had the same problem this year. Here is the fix.

LOR doesn't see the .05 beats very well when you are playing back the audio and watching for the beat on the left column. I used .06 beats last year and went with the .05 this year. It seems that anything below a .06, shows that it is missing every few beats when you are watching it play back.

My fix for the beat track or row was to light up two .05 blocks for a total of .10 to display the beat blinking.

Like others, I sequence at .05 just to get the timing of the song as close to the beat as possible. The program just doesn't like to display the very short blink of .05.

Hope this helps.

Beat Track?!? Huh?

These is a way to display the beats on an MP3? I've always used the tap wizard...... Boy, I may have been working toooo hard.

Could someone point me in the right director on the software.....

Ed.Faranda wrote:

Beat Track?!? Huh?

These is a way to display the beats on an MP3? I've always used the tap wizard...... Boy, I may have been working toooo hard.

Could someone point me in the right director on the software.....

In LORI a beat track is generally a dummy channel added where you put in the beats as "ON" events. The channel can be populated in the tapper or manually (or a combination). That channel can then be used as a guide for the timing of the sequence.

DCook wrote:

I have had the same problem this year. Here is the fix.

LOR doesn't see the .05 beats very well when you are playing back the audio and watching for the beat on the left column. I used .06 beats last year and went with the .05 this year. It seems that anything below a .06, shows that it is missing every few beats when you are watching it play back.

My fix for the beat track or row was to light up two .05 blocks for a total of .10 to display the beat blinking.

Like others, I sequence at .05 just to get the timing of the song as close to the beat as possible. The program just doesn't like to display the very short blink of .05.

I agree!
With timing of 0.05 seconds, it will miss some of the beats when you play it back. I use 0.10 for the beats and it works fine.
Also.... 0.05 WILL work for the show. It just misses sometimes when using the sequence editor and animation screen.