Light-O-Rama Forums

going from 15amp to 30amp

Jon Compton

Sorry if this has been asked but I have been trying to find out if I can change my LOR units from 15 to 30amp myself. If so what parts do I need? I screwed up and orderd the wrong one thinking each leg was thirty instead of both = 30. lol I should read better before ordering. 

Don't think this is possible. The Controllers are not built to sustain 30 Amp per side. Only way is to add a second controller. If you assign the same unit ID they both operate identical. I vaguely remember the pro controllers can handle 20 A per side if you swap the power cords. Still not something I would recommend.

I think the OP was referring to the single lead to dual lead inputs. You could do it yourself by looking inside the controller and following the input lead wire. There should be two jumpers, one for the common, and one for the line. This will depend on the version of the board.

Viennaxmas is correct. 15A max per side for the residential controllers.

The Pro controller also comes as 15A per side, but you can get 20A per side if you change out the power cable size to 12AWG and fuses to 20A.

The OP did state 30A per side but maybe he meant dual inputs. If your using LEDs, you may not need more than 15A and leave it as-is.

Take a look at page 10 of the manual. While the instructions are for how to assemble the CTB16PC (not the kit, but the one with the board already mounted) it will show you exactly what is needed to take the board from a single 15amp feed, to dual 15amp feeds.

ok im sorry for some reason i thought having 30amps on each leg was an option. my bad.  im  close to maxing out my controller with 4 channels just with my tree. 80k lights 4 colors and next year i want to add red (all incon) another 20k.each channel/color pulls 5.24 amps. Is this how it is or am i doing something wrong.

Jon - using incan's (especially that many) is unfortunately how it is and the best / safest choice is to add a controller. LOR has 8 channel controllers / board - unfortunately they are currently out of stock. Even on the 8 channel board you are limited to 20 Amp for the pro version and 15 Amp for the residential version. I know this is an additional investment so I can understand you search for alternatives.

Other option you have is to not turn on all channels at the same time. This would allow to connect a lot more (up to 8 Amp per channel) and as long as you only turn on one or two at a time you are good...

Most of us have converted to LED by now, I know the look is different, especially on the clear light still also an option is to start looking into LED.

Since LOR can do DMX you could look into stage or theater lighting dimmer packs... I used to have some rated at 60 Amps per phase in a three phase configuration with 20 Amp per channel... Maybe you can find a used one on e-bay...

I'm am going to buy more controllers hopefully on summer sale  3 16 channels and 2  8 channels  and 1 wireless receiver thingy... I watched my channels this year so not to bad. i just went and bought 100 boxes of leds (multis)  for $1 a box. so for now on I  will buy LEDS. I work with i guy that does stage props for bands and he has lots of dmx goodies i could use and see how that works. how many breakers (plugs) do yall normally use. I just had &more put in on top of th 6 i had.   

I'm am going to buy more controllers hopefully on summer sale  3 16 channels and 2  8 channels  and 1 wireless receiver thingy... I watched my channels this year so not to bad. i just went and bought 100 boxes of leds (multis)  for $1 a box. so for now on I  will buy LEDS. I work with i guy that does stage props for bands and he has lots of dmx goodies i could use and see how that works. how many breakers (plugs) do yall normally use. I just had &more put in on top of th 6 i had.   

Jon, I am assuming on the wireless units you meant the kit of two light linkers. They are always used as a pair to start (one to transmit and one to receive). From that point on, you just add additional units on as receivers.

-Gary-

Thanks Gary. im wanting to light up my gazebo and the Christmas tree inside. the one in the house wont be bad because ill run cat 6 to that location anyways for security cams. the gazebo is approx 50yards from the house. 

ok im sorry for some reason i thought having 30amps on each leg was an option. my bad.  im  close to maxing out my controller with 4 channels just with my tree. 80k lights 4 colors and next year i want to add red (all incon) another 20k.each channel/color pulls 5.24 amps. Is this how it is or am i doing something wrong.

Jon,

Little confused on how you’re getting 5.24 amps on 20K if they are incandescent? That sounds like LEDs?  

If we go by the numbers….

Incan:

100ct mini  = 40.8 Watts or 0.33 Amps

20K mini = 81.60W or 66A

80K mini = 32,640W or 264A

LEDs

100ct 5mm = 4.8 Watts or 0.04 Amps

20K 5mm = 960W or 8A

80K 5mm = 3840W or 32A

You would need (3) additional 30A controllers (using 85% rule) for 20,000 incandescent mini’s. If LEDs….you will only need 1/3 of a 30A controllers (using the 85% rule) for 20,000 5mm LEDs.

Cost wise….buying 20K LEDs will be more than the additional the 3 controllers, but if it was me…my personal option…I would go the LED route. I’m not saying go out and buy 20K worth of LEDs…just maybe look that way and start purchasing slowly. Also many are switching from single color LEDs to RGB. So maybe you can get some used LEDs at a really good price. Right after Xmas is your best deals for new LEDs, but unlikely you get that many. There are several pre-sales. I think CDI has them right now for $14 for 100ct. 

sorry i have 8k not 80 (face-palm) yes i am looking in to led now.  i started with incond because i thought led couldn't dim but just happens they do, (somewhat)

sorry i have 8k not 80 (face-palm) yes i am looking in to led now.  i started with incond because i thought led couldn't dim but just happens they do, (somewhat)

Doh!! lol

If you having fading issues with LEDs, add a snubber with your strings and that will help. Search for snubbers. Some use Incan bulb (C7) or air fresher, ect. Good Luck.

Jon - using incan's (especially that many) is unfortunately how it is and the best / safest choice is to add a controller. LOR has 8 channel controllers / board - unfortunately they are currently out of stock. Even on the 8 channel board you are limited to 20 Amp for the pro version and 15 Amp for the residential version. I know this is an additional investment so I can understand you search for alternatives. Other option you have is to not turn on all channels at the same time. This would allow to connect a lot more (up to 8 Amp per channel) and as long as you only turn on one or two at a time you are good... Most of us have converted to LED by now, I know the look is different, especially on the clear light still also an option is to start looking into LED. Since LOR can do DMX you could look into stage or theater lighting dimmer packs... I used to have some rated at 60 Amps per phase in a three phase configuration with 20 Amp per channel... Maybe you can find a used one on e-bay...

I have been searching for the 8 channel boards. does it not show in the store when they are out. or did they do away with them?

• The topic was locked