Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pixel to replace 5mm wide angle LED string

habmann

OK guys, now that Christmas is over it's time for me to start planning for next year. Of the many things I was planning to add to my display what I'm about to ask about wasn't one, but the original decoration has died on my see I figured I'd take it apart and improve it. I've got two strings of white LED snowflakes that I purchased from Costco a few years back (link to pic below). What I'd like to do is replace the existing 5mm wide angle LED string that is inside it with RGB pixels, should make for an awesome addition to the show. My question is this, as I'm new to the RGB pixel game, does anyone know of a pixel that is of similar size to what is in there. Mainly asking because it will make the retrofit easier if its close in size.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=dGNM7eU3IIv8MM&tbnid=67gqw1AW_iRuSM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgoodshomedesign.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F05%2Flighted-window-decorations.html&ei=UAPHUsa9DuTAyAGr1YDYCw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFX7tw0YoZLMNnK1qsFneU_opg6vQ&ust=1388860619668589

Thanks

Looks like it uses the small led's m5 or m6 size ?  haven't seen any rgb pixels that are that small. You may be able to drill holes in the back side of the snow flake and insert the flat type 12mm pixels?

Currently there is no offering of a RGB LED inside a shell of an M5 (Mini) Christmas light. 

We obviously have the technology, its basically like those artificial trees u see with the lights that change from white to color, just add in another color.

I believe that the market, currently, is not big enough for the manufactures to get interested in producing such a christmas light. 

Ya my suspicion was that nothing existed as a direct replacement. 

Oh well, guess I'll have to order some other options and see what I can make work i my application.

• 2 months later...

I have the same snowflakes.   Let me know if you find anything that works... That is a great idea!!!

Scott

• The topic was locked