Light-O-Rama Forums

Street lights

Drac

Hello all,

As someone just starting into decorationing I am curious if any of the morwe experienced people have dealt with this issue.  While not daylight it does mute the effects of the lights.  Th further out into the yard the more effect it has.

Thanks,

Jim

There was a street light at my old home, 1 house down and across the street. Honestly, after the first year or so I never gave it much thought.

I would suggest that you consider the possible legal implications with regards to any thoughts of taking out the street light. (I'm just saying there might be some, nothing more.)

There was a street light at my old home, 1 house down and across the street. Honestly, after the first year or so I never gave it much thought.

I would suggest that you consider the possible legal implications with regards to any thoughts of taking out the street light. (I'm just saying there might be some, nothing more.)

Damn, I knew that idea might be trouble.  Guess I'd better put the Red Rider away.  For the best I guess, probably shot my eye out :angry:

Kidding :D, I was wondering if it caused any issues with the lighting shows or any particular lights don't show well, things like that.

Jim

I've seen a few displays locally where people were able to get a light source on top of the streetlight to fool it to shut off.  Presumably when their lights are off for the night, they shut this off so the streetlight can go back on.

I might consider this if I had a street light right on my own property.  Ours is across the street, at the far edge of our display, and it really doesn't bother anything and adds some security.

We have a streetlight across the street from us and half a lot width up that threw a ton of light on my front lawn.  I had researched mounting a laser on my chimney on a timer to come on when the show started and shut off when it was done.  Two problems with that.......from about 100' away it would have to be a green one which would make it visible. Also most of the sensors on top of the street lights around here point to the sunset (west) which is away from my house, so the laser wouldn't have likely tripped it.  My solution was to call the electrical utility and ask them about shuttering it as I had "light pollution" I didn't like. She said she didn't know if they could do that and would have to check. Not 30 seconds later she came back on and said not a problem, we have done this before and we'll get a crew out in the next couple nights to verify this.  That next night a boom truck shows up, sits there for a couple minutes, and gets in the bucket and goes up.  He put a set of louvers or shades inside the lense that kill any horizontal spread of light.  Everything is directed down on the street underneath it.  None of my neighbors has had any issue with it and this was done 4 years ago when I decided to do an extreme display............ 

Lenny

• Like 1

In my old neighborhood.. during Halloween, we used to just pull the fuse that was located in the base of the light...... it worked and it was only off for about 3 hrs.  I would not recommend anyone do that of course.. Surely must have been illegal...  The guy that pulled the fuse knew what he was doing, so that helped.  :rolleyes:

Edited by plasmadrive

In my old neighborhood.. during Halloween, we used to just pull the fuse that was located in the base of the light...... it worked and it was only off for about 3 hrs.  I would not recommend anyone do that of course.. Surely must have been illegal...  The guy that pulled the fuse knew what he was doing, so that helped.  :rolleyes:

So it took two of you guys to pull one fuse?

One guy on each end?

• Like 1

So it took two of you guys to pull one fuse?

One guy on each end?

aaahhh.. I never said I was involved.  ;)

I am not taking or turning out the street light.  Outside of being illegal we live on a corner with the light lighting up the corner.  With the way some of the people race up and down the street it is necessary on normal nights let alone nights where kids will be out and about such as Halloween.

Jim

I am not taking or turning out the street light.  Outside of being illegal we live on a corner with the light lighting up the corner.  With the way some of the people race up and down the street it is necessary on normal nights let alone nights where kids will be out and about such as Halloween.

Jim

In that case I'm not sure what you're asking.

I was wondering if it caused any issues with the lighting shows or any particular lights don't show well, things like that but it seems that it really isn't too much an issue.

Thanks,

Jim

I was wondering if it caused any issues with the lighting shows or any particular lights don't show well, things like that but it seems that it really isn't too much an issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Nope.