Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling a street light

MikeA

At the end of my show I turn on all lights at 100% to allow for pictures. 10 seconds into this the street light turns off like clock work.

Your lights are bright enough to cause it to turn off? Or do you have a hand in this?

It would be great if I could get mine turned off until like 10pm

The lights are bright enough. It comes back on in 30 -45 seconds after they shut off.

there are ways to shut them off but I in no way am going to post that here. I might be put back on forum probation and have all my posts go through a moderator again. And some of the ways I have heard of arent exactly legal. No need for anyone to get into trouble. The best way is to ask your city/village if they can shut down that one or few lights in front of your house during the holidays. That is the only legal way to do it.

Wire a pinspot into one of your channels and point it somewhere it will do some good (wink, wink).

Bring that channel up every now and then and your street light problem should go away.

Sample pinspot: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Chauvet-LED-Pinspot-2-485506-i1518467.gc

Your lights are bright enough to cause it to turn off? Or do you have a hand in this?

It would be great if I could get mine turned off until like 10pm

You can fool the sensor on the top of the street lamp into thinking that it is daytime. This sometimes can be purely accidental because of the brightness of your display, and sometimes we hear of people pointing or attaching lights at/ on the sensor. Issues have been raised before about liability and legality especially in the event of an accident as it likely you would be held responsible for this.

Edited by spomalley

here's a suggestion, call your city maintenance department, they would be happy to save the electricity to kill the power to that pesky street lamp, as long as the neighbors don't mind

I called about this same thing 2 years ago, and the Monday before Thanksgiving they remove the bulbs from 2 street lights around my house, the only stipulation is I had to ask my neighbors if it was acceptable for the city do this

I am really not looking to turn the street light out I just thought it was funny that my lights were bright enough to turn it off.

I have "HEARD" of lasers being used...wink...wink... but not a pinspot. a great idea and probably cheaper then a green laser pointer.

I looked and it costs the same but probably more effective then a laser being as a laser has to hit it just right. Not that i would know or anything... just what i heard. ;)

:lol: let me know when you will fly over Wisconsin :P I have a neighbor behind me I dont like. I can be all ninja like :ph34r: and stand in his yard and point the laser up to signal where to dump :lol:

Don't they use green lasers for 'star gazing' pointing out constellations and all that stuff? What does it do to a plane?

it doesnt do anything to the airplane, it can (and has) perm. blind the pilots and any passengers that look out the windows. Blind the pilots, even temporarily and you can face a year + in jail. One idiot in Phoenix was just sentenced to 3yrs jail for lighting up 4 airplanes and a police helicopter (looking for him).

TJ - Yup; I have some friends that do commercial laser shows and when they do outside venues, they have tons of approvals and paperwork before they can light up their 50 watt lasers.

(I wonder what THAT would do to a street light?)

From a distance of 100 feet, those can give you a burn mark on your skin. Not fun.

Mike A - Sometimes city crews can install a semi-circular reflector on the house side for a few weeks, if needed and if neighbors approve.

Have fun on your display this season.

TJ you know i was kidding. I know how powerful these lasers are and dont recommend using a green laser. I also think its illegal to own as well.

Took me quite some time, many tries, and some tape over the laser lens to find a way to cover most of my house with revolving laser lights without any heading skyward. I am directly under the airport approach flightpath and didn't want any visits from the FAA (or FBI for that matter.) Do NOT shine lasers UP!

Question on the green lasers, I have seen units available at stores and catalogs that go under a tree and up light with hundreds of light points. Are these safe to use?

Here is an example, http://www.frontgate.com/outdoor-landscape-light/364888?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=0

I have seen lower priced units as well, maybe those are not safe?

Lee

I tried that last year. The county would not even entertain the thought of turning my street lamp off. I even bought an extension pole and bulb tool but the light was corroded together. My new neighborhood doesn't have street lights :)

• The topic was locked