Light-O-Rama Forums

when did then gen3 controllers become available?

bhunt240

Hey everyone im looking into purchasing some used controllers but he is unsure of what gen they are but said they wer bought a few years ago... just wondering when they wer first sold and also what is tge the difference in a gen2 vs my gen3 controllers I already have??

Thanks

Blake

Blake I am not sure of the date but does it have a red led or green? Some cards were marked wrong but its my understanding the led is the key. Green was version 3.

Jeff

Alright ill ask the seller to look at that, any big differences in the gen2 controllers vs my gen3's?? Im also using all commercial leds next year if that makes a difference on the gen2

The gen 3 has a phantom load built into each channel tha can help the channel fade correctly if more than a few strings are connected. With a gen 2, you may need to add a phantom load yourself. Search the forum for snubber. The gen 2 controllers do not support dimming curves. If you are using the LED dimming curve, the second gen is unable to match it.

Also to identify, the gen2 has the status light to the right of the cat 5 jacks. Gen 3 has the status light to the left. Gen 2 is all pin through hole components. Gen3 is mostly surface mount components.