Light-O-Rama Forums

Was Your Show a Success?

dgrant

To answer your question, yes it was.  How was yours?

Thanks for asking! Mine was success, I think. This is my second year of LOR and I think there were more cars stopping to watch mine this year as more people heard about it. Family and friends said it looked better this year than last year, so no complaints here.

Yep I think it went well, had no lights fail, and only forgot to plug in the edm one night.

donations to the local food pantry down , but I also wasn't on the local news this year. 

Also got a nice hand written not from a family thanking me for the great lights, and how I made their Christmas special.

Being that this is my first year, I can say very successful... My Development is out in the country and I am the talk of the development because of the display. Now for ordering for next year!

This was our 2nd year, and I think it went great as well.  We had a write up in the local paper, an interview on talk radio, and over 350 likes on our Facebook page, but most of all, a lot more traffic than last year and LOTS of smiling kids singing along with the lights.  Only problems were two lights strings that I had to replace a bulb and a broken cat5 coupler for my RGB spotlights.  Overall, great year and we had a blast putting it together and showing it off!!

This year was a complete disaster from the jump.  The moment I tried to turn it on, I had an issue where half my channels weren't working.  A few hours later I was able to isolate the problem to a $.50 adapter that allows 3 prong into 2 prong, so it was an easy fix, but it was a harbinger of things to come...we then had some rain, which always gives me trouble.  Then some snow.  A few days later, one of my controllers burned (still don't know why).  So show was down for 6 days.  Day after I got it back up, we got 5" of snow, topped with 1/2" of ice.  Created havoc with the show. 

Having said that, it does not deter my enthusiasm for this.  Part of the issues I had with the weather was my fault for not being as prepared for rain/snow as I could have been.  The other half was just crappy luck.  But I love it and plan to be much better prepared for 2014 and figure I got all the bad luck out of the way.

I feel it was a good year.  Converted to 100% RGB with no major issues.  My one issue I still haven't' figured out is a DC24 controller not behaving. I tried reset, new cable, changing ID number and nothing works.  I will try swapping the controller before taking down the display to see if its the controller.  I had an interview request from the locate TV station but turned it down as I am happy not having to have the neighbors deal with traffic. Traffic seemed lighter this year.......................

Steve

I would have to say a success by judging from the traffic and comments but I was less than thrilled by the season or results.  I have a parking lot that people can  watch the show from and would say I average about 30 cars every half hour an on Christmas Eve had over 40 cars in the lot at one time.   Some of the frustration were self induced by not getting the builds done I wanted to do but that turned into a blessing because it left me a couple of extra controllers that I needed to switch for ones that didn't want to work.  My CCR tree was not responding properly and had two strips that had several pixel failures but upgrading to the newest firmware finally settled those down.  I purchased 24 candy canes for spinners and half of them went out before Christmas.  Lots of rain followed by really cold and snowy weather delayed the display starting for a week.  I didn't get some of my stick trees out because of lighting failures I didn't have time to fix.  I had a 30 amp circuit go out on me on the day of start up so had to try and rework my power allocation at the last minute.  It just seemed one thing after another this year and I would  keep asking myself why do I spend so much money on something that is so much work and causes me so much stress at times?  The truth is I hate to disappoint the people that love coming out to see them.  It makes me feel good when I see so many cars enjoying the display  and I do like the challenge of always trying to make it better.  So I as long as I physically can I will press on and hope springs eternal that next year I will make it better and it will all go much easier.  

No real success this year, My mom suffered a broken rib and collapsed lung so attending to her care and a week hospital stay was enough to take out the time I needed to complete the display. This is year 2 of 2 where I cannot get the display up. I am honestly hoping 2014 is my year! 

No real success this year, My mom suffered a broken rib and collapsed lung so attending to her care and a week hospital stay was enough to take out the time I needed to complete the display. This is year 2 of 2 where I cannot get the display up. I am honestly hoping 2014 is my year! 

Hang in there; it took me the better part of three years just to get a few static lights and a 12 pixel strip tree up and going.  2014 will be our year!

Yeah, I'm going to try a pixel tree this next year too. Already ordered things for it then have to figure it out during the year.

Yeah, I'm going to try a pixel tree this next year too. Already ordered things for it then have to figure it out during the year.

I ended up going with a "plug and play" type pixel system.  If anyone is interested you can PM me.  This is what finally got me launched as it saved tons of time and research.  I usuallly revel in "discovering" how to do these types of things but my daytime work has been in overdrive for the last year.

Hang in there; it took me the better part of three years just to get a few static lights and a 12 pixel strip tree up and going.  2014 will be our year!

Still in there, High hopes for next year after an amazingly successful after christmas shopping run.

I would consider it successful this year even though I didn't get a full sequence done and everything connected until 12/23! I had several friends keep driving by to see if I was finished, "Come back tomorrow!" I'd keep telling them. My wife posted a video of it on Facebook and I got a lot of nice comments. We don't have much in the way of animated shows around here so I don't think many people have seen anything like this before. Once I let go and accepted the fact this was going to be a "learning" year (my first) and it wasn't going to be exactly what I wanted to do I felt better. With 108 channels maybe I tried for too much the first year...or more realistically I'm just too much a procrastinator! I'm already excited for next year and I will definitely start earlier!

• The topic was locked