Light-O-Rama Forums

Was Your Show a Success?

dgrant

This was my 2nd year. I don't know how to measure whether any of our shows was a success or not. I appeared to have a few more cars this year than last year but I wasn't out there counting. The way I see it, if I helped bring any Christmas spirit to anyone, then it was a success! I did see a lot of children's smiles.

This was my first year. 

Very little maintenance after setup.  I guess I planned it right.

My biggest concern is how long the snow flakes on the roof will last.

I bought them used.

Anyone know where I can get 16 identical snowflakes?  About 18" across.

A lot of nice comments from the neighbors.

I'm already thinking about next years changes.

Faces, floods, another controller?

Didn't have any cops knocking on my door so I guess it was a success.  :o

I had lots of kids dancing in the street with smiles on their faces so I would say yes it was a success.

More visitors in my 3rd year than my 1st and 2nd year combined. No police, no FCC, only one incident with blocking a driveway and only 1 pixel problem. Considering I went from 70% LED and 30% Pixel last year to flip-flop those %s, I'd say I had a very successful year. Had almost 100 likes on Facebook in about 2-3 days. Amazing.

Happy New Year everyone. In a couple more days we'll be packing up 2013 and planning and sequencing starts for 2014 after a short break.

Once I got the show running(about 2 weeks late) ran without any additional hiccups.  Weather was a big problem this year, but still plenty of visitors.  Not sure how soon I can take down, ground is frozen.

I have 3 of 9 videos uploaded:  http://vimeo.com/82505754

This was my first year with LOR and I'd say without a doubt I'd call it a successful year. 5-10 cars per night (I know compared to most that's not a lot, but it was my first year, figure that will go up year after year as more people find out about it), and it ran everynight without any issues except one night.

Looking forward to what next years show will bring. Bring on 11 months of planning, building and sequencing.

Our donations were way down this year. That's what we use as a gauge for visitors. but we have heard co workers say they came out  on a certain night and know they didn't donate because there were no donations that night. so our gauge isn't accurate and we aren't ones to be out there bothering people. If we come home after show is running and their are people out watching they leave right away when we pull in garage. Think they feel embarrassed or weird to be watching our house when we are home...lol

Was the first year for me only had one problem with rain and gfis tripping then went cold and snow everything worked great no complainers and even raised some money for the local volunteer fire department

Every year is a success for me!  Even if no one watches except my family and I. :)   It doesn't bother me how many people come and watch as long as my family and I have fun doing it. :D

This was my second year with LOR although I have had a lot of lights on the house for about 12 years. I went from 2 controllers to 5 and I would say it was a success. Donations are still coming in but are around £2,500 ($3.800) which is the highest yet. Lots of nice cards from visitors an article in the local paper and my wife on local radio. We also have around 3,500 hits on you tube. I guess that's a success. Now planning for another 3 controllers next year.

I'm happy with my first year, front page of the paper, 370 likes on my displays facebook page and messages from happy viewers, cars out front for almost every show, over 8000 views on utube, $700 raised in cash donations for the SPCA, and 10 bags of stuff for the SPCA and the food bank. Only thing that went wrong was my CCP " happy holidays " sign is no longer detectable in my hardware utility but it's been too cold to go to troubleshoot. I have my controller mounted on the back of the sign, not too sure how they fare in -40 deg C temps...One more neighbor left to talk to find out if I'm hated or not and then full speed ahead for next year!

Guess I should have also said above that this is our first year; we have a simple 12 pixel string tree with a six channel star and static lights on the left and right of the tree.  We don't get much traffic but we sure had fun doing this together.  Next up is trying to learn how to shoot video so I can put it on the website.

we had a really good year. Third year with lor and our fan base grows each year. We live in a rural area so if you don't know about us or heard about the display you would not even know we are here. We started the first year with only a few stoppers the entire season, now this year we have about 3 to 6 a night(very happy with that) We also had several visitors recording the show.you always wonder how your show will be seen by othrs,Guess We are doing a little something right

The cold slowed down traffic this year. But I did have different ones tell me they liked the display. I dont collect donations but last night this lady knocked on my door and said this was the first year they had seen my lights and really enjoyed them, she then handed me 5 dollars and wished me a merry christmas I told her I enjoy doing it and she did not have to give me anything but she wouldnt take it back. That was a first for me.

It was a GREAT season!!  Many firsts such as:  Grandchildren and daughter were able to see display for 1st time and spend Christmas with us (it's been 3 years for daughter and grand's are 2 and 3).  A lot of fantastic feedback from visitors and many previous viewers from past 2 years.  So....can't hardly wait to start it all over again after WE catch our breath.  May you all have a safe and  Blessed New Year.