Light-O-Rama Forums

Shows Over for 2013 - Take down time!

Orville

Spent about 7 hours yesterday taking stuff down.  The weather was actually pleasant for a change this year so my wife was a bit more willing to help. We got at least 90% taken down and put away even.  Today just have 6 trees and the mega tree to put away.  It's so true 2 months to put up 2 days to put away.  Wish it was 2 days both ways.

Last show for us was 1/1. Traffic had really dwindled to basically nothing the past few nights, so time to pull the plug. 3" of new snow and -10F temps have kept me from getthing things torn down.

Thanks Orville.  Well, good news is that I'm only 41 years old, so I've got that going for me.  I'm a bit nervous about how long recovery will be.  I'm very active...I'm a gym rat (mostly a weight lifter, but I do some running/swimming), play with my kids a lot, etc...  If you follow football at all, my injury/issue is exactly the same thing Percy Harvin of the Seahawks (formerly from the Vikings) had.  He had his operation before pre-season and still isn't playing.  But then again, I'm not an NFL wide receiver, so I don't need to return to that level of performance.  They tell me it'll be 6 months until I'm 100%, but will be able to at least walk somewhat in 7-10 days.  I actually timed the surgery specifically for now.  Besides my display, I do some amateur auto racing.  My season starts in May.  So I allowed myself enough time to take my display down, have surgery and be recovered enough to be back in the race car.  Plus, I can start working on my 2014 display while I'm recovering.  That's what I'll be doing a lot of while I'm out of work.

from your regimen, I'd say you're going to do real grat and be back up and walking, as well as doing a lot of other near normal stuff for most folks.  

Sometimes I watch auto-racing on TV, grew up in a family that wasn't at all sports oriented, so I never really got into football, baseball or the others, occasionally I'll watch it, but I must admit, I usually have no clue as to what is going on or fully understand it.

About the only sport my late father did was target practice with a 22 rifle or 22 pistol or shotgun, although we did go fishing from time to time, most often we went out with metal detectors lloking for coins and whatever we could find of value.

My late mothe, sher loved to go to the stock car races at our local track, occasionally I still get there to watch them, as I do love to watch them.  Not so fond of drag racing, but I do love the "Funny Car Dragsters", if they still call them that.

Does the cost of storage boxes have to be included in the budget for the display?

Sorry to all those living in the nasty north, but I've just completed boxing up and storing my display.

Only 328 days until light up :lol:

I need to get out there and take down the two megatrees but its so flippin cold...Its colder in other parts of the country so I shouldn't complain at my 17 deg this morning.

Ran our last show on New Years Day. started take down yesterday.  Spent about 10 hours on it yesterday and am nowhere close to being finished.  Considering we had a wind chill below 0 yesterday, I'm not surprised I'm no where near being finished.  Need to finish before the sub-zero temperatures and 8-12 inches of snow get here Sunday and Monday, that's on top of the 6-12 inches of snow we got for 36 hours straight on New Years Day and Thursday.

Spent one day removing and packing cords, cables, controllers and so on. 

One day removing most of the stuff off the lawn.  About 4 hours yesterday taking the rest off the lawn.

Today I will pull out the bucket truck and start taking down the lights from the trees.  Most likely an entire day.  Winding them up takes a long time.. about 20k lights all in strings of 70 lights.

Tomorrow hopefully the Plasma Icicles come down.  Bucket truck again.. Should take about a day to take down and pack away.

I am thinking about another 6 hrs to get the balance all put away... Gotta put stuff up on the pallet rack and up on the mezzanine.  Move the play stuff off the rolling rack to bins..

Lots of work.. phew!

• The topic was locked