Light-O-Rama Forums

Shows Over for 2013 - Take down time!

Orville

Yes, I ended my show as of 12/26/2013 and just running static as I take things down.    

Why so early instead of running as planned to at least 1/2/2014?

Well that date is my wifes birthday and didn't want to be disassembling my display on that {HER} day!  I'd be in the doghouse, er, cathouse in my case fir sure with her.

And on top of that, the local weather reports are saying we may get some bad thunderstorms and possibly high winds this upcoming weekend, when I WAS going to start taking things down.    So I don't like taking things apart when they are wet or damp, or even slightly raining, especially if you happen to not catch something still plugged in and possibly live.

So everything will no longer operational by Friday night 12/ 27/2013.

Hope everyone that got their shows up and operating, especially the new folks this year had a great show and everything went at least as close as possible to your plans.

Time to start sequencing for Halloween and Christmas 2014 as soon as all the 2013 decor is down and packed!

The one other person here that does a LOR show, shuts his down tonight. I'll shut mine down on Jan 1st. then start the week long disassembly process. Oh fun...

I have said I will be up until Friday evening 3 January and tear down on Saturday the 4th, but I might tear down on New Year's day.  We'll see what I feel like...

Mine will continue to run until Jan 1, and then I'll wait to things dethaw to take it all down. Normally sometime in January or February we get a good thaw.

Mine will continue to run until Jan 1, and then I'll wait to things dethaw to take it all down. Normally sometime in January or February we get a good thaw.

Sure glad I don't have that problem!

I was going to shut down with New Years Day, 01/01/2014, with tear down starting 01/02, but being I did that last year and that being the wifes birthday I almost never heard the end of that one.   So this year, since the weather is going to be bad this weekend, decided to get it all down today 12/27/2013, especially since I have a few other things going on that would interfere with getting it all down.

And it's now all down, not exactly packed away properly just yet, but I'll deal with that as I get the time.

Actually not all down, I did leave the deer out in the garden and may just leave them there year round.  But not really 100% on that yet.   Jury is still out on that one. :P

Saturday night will be our last show for this season.  Got a snow storm and single-digit temps coming in.  Will have to bring in most stuff to the basement to thaw out next to the wood stove.  Wow.  Just the opposite of set up.  I bring in the rope light trees to warm up so they will set up! :rolleyes:

I would have run until the 30th, but today saw the worst winds of the season by far.  I had a few things fall, a couple of arches pop out etc. and I decided rather than fight it I would go with the flow and dismantled half the display, guess last night was the last night...

Thats what I do.. I'm not going to be out there Jan 1st or the 2nd, too dam cold.. :)

I'll leave them up until things warm up or just go out and bring in pieces slowly, like 1 a month with the thinking that if we have a really cold summer, and the grass doesnt grow, I'll be that far ahead for next years display. (not really, but I joke about it all the time)

Turned my show off Dec 27th.  I would have run to Jan 1st, but I'm having hip surgery Jan 17th, and I need to make sure I have everything down, packed, organized and stored before then.

Will start tear down tomorrow, weather forecast predicts -20C for a couple of days then down to -5C for the weekend that will help .Presently sitting at -34C outside without wind-chill factor. :o

my lights are off on the January 5th, even last night we had to many cars still coming and watching, I decided on the 5th because most people are still on vacation this week

I only saw one car stop last night to watch, so they are now off as of last night at the normal shutdown time. Start dismantling today  :( but looking forward to the next season already and things to change!

we had no power the week of Christmas, due to a bad ice storm. since power returned it has Ben busy. Usually last night was our last night, but we're going to keep going through this weekend

Last show was last night... Started teardown this morning around 10am and had about 60% of it down and in the garage.  Hope to have 90% down today and 50% packed up.  Takes a month to setup and two days to tear down.  Ugh... :P

Turned my show off Dec 27th.  I would have run to Jan 1st, but I'm having hip surgery Jan 17th, and I need to make sure I have everything down, packed, organized and stored before then.

Klayfish, hope your hip surgery goes well.  May you have a speedy and safe recovery from the surgery.  And may the physical therapy that comes after go as well to get you back on your feet.

My late mother in law had hip surgery and she was off her feet for a long time and seemed like always in physical therapy.  But she was also very elderly when she had hers, I think she was 85 at the time, and for 2 years after hers she was in a wheelchair for almost a year and half, then a walker until she passed away in Oct. 2009.  But she also had a lot of other medical issues too, so that's why I think she had so many issues in recovering from her hip surgery.

Klayfish, hope your hip surgery goes well.  May you have a speedy and safe recovery from the surgery.  And may the physical therapy that comes after go as well to get you back on your feet.

My late mother in law had hip surgery and she was off her feet for a long time and seemed like always in physical therapy.  But she was also very elderly when she had hers, I think she was 85 at the time, and for 2 years after hers she was in a wheelchair for almost a year and half, then a walker until she passed away in Oct. 2009.  But she also had a lot of other medical issues too, so that's why I think she had so many issues in recovering from her hip surgery.

Way to be encouraging... :rolleyes:

Thanks Orville.  Well, good news is that I'm only 41 years old, so I've got that going for me.  I'm a bit nervous about how long recovery will be.  I'm very active...I'm a gym rat (mostly a weight lifter, but I do some running/swimming), play with my kids a lot, etc...  If you follow football at all, my injury/issue is exactly the same thing Percy Harvin of the Seahawks (formerly from the Vikings) had.  He had his operation before pre-season and still isn't playing.  But then again, I'm not an NFL wide receiver, so I don't need to return to that level of performance.  They tell me it'll be 6 months until I'm 100%, but will be able to at least walk somewhat in 7-10 days.  I actually timed the surgery specifically for now.  Besides my display, I do some amateur auto racing.  My season starts in May.  So I allowed myself enough time to take my display down, have surgery and be recovered enough to be back in the race car.  Plus, I can start working on my 2014 display while I'm recovering.  That's what I'll be doing a lot of while I'm out of work.