Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 SD cards?

lewishj

Hi all. I was curious about the SD cards for the g3  director. The 4 GB class 4 Kingston card I received with my director seems to work pretty good for my show. The show has a few hang ups, so I thought maybe I would try a higher class SD card for faster reading. I bought some Sandisk 8GB class 10 cards, and none of them work in my director. It says Err no show on card.  Of course I formatted them and used the HWU to put the shows on the card, just the same as the Kingston 4 GB. I know the manual states class 4 or higher. What I want to know is, is there a limit to the sd card size and class? Is there a brand that seems to work better than others? Thanks for any advice. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

Sandisk cards are NOT compatible with the G3 (there are other posts about this in the forum). Kingston and Lexar work for me. as far as size limits, I have no idea.

Greg

• Like 1

Thanks a31ford. That is good to know! That is crazy how some will work and not others. I tried checking the forums, but I guess I did not pose my questions right. I didn't even think that a brand would be incompatible. I will go with those you mentioned, and maybe try a couple different classes too. I will let you know how they work out. Thanks again!

Also no need to buy anything over 2-4 GB, I can use and sometimes do use a 512MB card and can put over 40 sequences on it. I have a mix of Lexar cards 512MB, 1GB, 2GB and 4GB.  Also I use the Mini Director, it is a little different than the MP3 Director.

Earle

• Like 1

I bought an 8Gb class 10 and class 6 Lexar cards today. I don't need them for the size, but I do need the higher class. I put the show on there to run anytime it was powered. I popped it in earlier, and it worked great! It even made the light go off during the intense parts of the show. When I went back this evening to start the show up, it wouldn't come on, it just kept telling me to wait. Really bizarre! Works the first time, then not again. Any ideas on what that is about?

My original show is on a timed schedule, which is set on the card. The new cards, I set up to play when powered. The first time I inserted the new cards, they started up fine. Later, when I re-inserted them, it just said wait. I even tried rebooting the power, still the same. After that, I re-inserted the original, scheduled show card, it started right up. Do you suppose that I may have pre-set something in the director, with the original scheduled time card? I'm at a loss. 

Maybe; there's a file written on the SD card containing the date and time to reset the controller to and maybe you have it when you shouldn't OR it's expecting it and it's not there.

Whenever I load an SD card with a show, I make sure to reformat it completely, wiping out any residual stuff.

Try that.

OK. I tried reformatting it again. It worked this time, but I'll try again at 6 to see how it responds, then. If it doesn't come on then, I will assume that there is a schedule set somewhere in the director. This is my first use of a full functional mp3 director, and I did play around with it. I may have some residual scheduling in there that is conflicting, or something. Only other thing that I would know to do after this, is maybe put a set clock file on the play anytime powered, card. Maybe that would reset it? I'll let you know how it goes.

I just run mine continuously. I set the mp3/player to start at 5pm & go off at 10:00pm. I do not bother putting a start time on the SD card. I can just take out that show SD card & put in a "all lights on" SD card for a break. Only takes a few seconds to do that.

I have used a Sandisk 8GB class 6 and it worked just fine.  When loading the show on to the SD it went a lot faster.   I have a collection of cards and just happened to grab the Sandisk when I was loading a show.  I know it's a waste of space but it was just sitting there doing nothing 

I bought a bunch of SanDisk Class 2 SD cards some years back. I've shipped them to customers using the new G3 Directors, and I've not had a problem with them.

I wonder if something in the higher class SD cards has something the G3 director can't handle.

There may be something with the higher class cards. Although, when I did get the higher class card to work, the show run a lot better with far fewer hang ups on my CCR's. I would like to stick to a higher class if at all possible. Just gotta figure out the right combination.

Hmmmm. Both of mine told me err, no show on sd card. Tried reformatting them, and still the same. Gonna try the Lexar again tonight, with a scheduled show instead of a run anytime powered show, to see if acts any different.

lewishj, what is your location? There might be someone near that could help you.

I live in Hickory NC. I know of about 6 people and churches that do this, around here. None of them go to the extreme, like me though. I find myself trying to help them. I just seem to have irritating problems with my stuff. I reformatted my Lexar card and added the time file to it, now it seems to work. My next issue, is that sections of my CCR's hang up and stay on, after the show ends. Get up the next morning, and some of the lights are still on. The only way I can get them to off, is to unplug the Cat 5 cable from the director. Any thoughts on what causes that?