Light-O-Rama Forums

lor2 FYI

JEFFREYM

Not to drag this poor topic off into never-neverland, but for you homebrewers head on over to www.thebrewingnetwork.com for the best beer brewing knowledge there is and tune in live every Sunday evening at 5pm PST to the live stream.

Charlie

As much as I enjoy beer (I like that Blue Moon stuff, even if it is made by the Coors Brewing Co.)...

Another big minus to the HD (and other) pre-programmed lighting is that, in order to listen to it, you have to roll down the window. And I'm sure many people will have no consideration for their neighbors, and will blast that thing so not only can passing motorists hear it in the road, but also so that the entire block can hear it. Nothing beats broadcasting over a radio station so everyone can hear it in the warmth of their vehicles.

And overall, that thing is small. Most of our displays take up the entire yard. This is 3 relatively small Christmas Trees sitting amongst the rest of the display, with lights flashing and such

• 2 months later...

lleibeck wrote:

I think these might be a good thing. For $80 someone can have something a little different form the rest of the neighbors. They will like it, but then they will wish for more. I see some of these folks as potential LOR customers.

Absolutely TRUE im a new LOR customer had the GE box last year

LOr this year waiting for the sale :D

I liked my Lights and Sounds of Christmas last year. The wife was not big on any animation, she is a static type person. I mod'd mine with a Belkin. After we started to get a bit of traffic and people were stopping to watch, the hook was set. The WAF went way up.

Already bought one controller, two or three more at sale time.

It is not really fair to compare the two.

lleibeck wrote:

I think these might be a good thing. For $80 someone can have something a little different form the rest of the neighbors. They will like it, but then they will wish for more. I see some of these folks as potential LOR customers.

LOL! I am one of those "potential" LOR customers. I had the Mr. Christmas "Lights and Sounds of Christmas" box for the first 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. It can only control 6 channels and handle 1440 watts and it had a 12 amp fuse inside. Then my LOR controllers were delivered and I switched my entire display over to them. My neighbor across the street immediately noticed something was different along with all the music having been changed. My fear was that my neighbors would go out and buy the canned Mr. C box and I'd lose the uniqueness factor and also the music wasn't all that great and there was no dimming of the lights. A very cool feature in itself for expressing the mood and dynamics of a song. Sharing sequences is another plus. It got me off to a running start learning LOR. I doubt anyone would have identical displays therefore driving individual and unique sequences.

What's really funny is that I ran into one of our local policemen that I know last night. He was asking about my display (I ran 112 channels synchronized to video on an 8' round wreath screen, with two dmx moving heads and four led par cans). He asked me if I used one of those things he saw at Home Depot that you can plug the 6 cords into and it plays music to the lights...

Hehe... some folks just don't get it. ;)

You need to look at this in the big picture..

Mr. Christmas was a way for the average Joe to get something just a little better than the next guy. Reguardless of the fact that they all play the same songs, if the owner, me being one of them this year, took the time to play with the sequencing of the unit he/she could have something that looked quite nice.

I have always wanted to have a big computer controlled display but never had the knowledge or $ to dell out for it. Mr Christmas was an out for me to get going. And like some have said it has motivated me to wait for LOR's sale so I can get a DIY cards.

Mr. Christmas has:

Got me looking at LOR, AL, and d-lights for lots more information.

Got me hooked to better my next years display.

Got me in contact with (IMO) this countries best display creators and able to get creative ideas and even more information to better my display.

So..... Mr. Christmas is going to do nothing but help LOR, AL and d-lights.

As for sharing.... If I was to get a shared sequence I don't feel you could effectivly just run any light sequence to it. You would have to modify it. For me it too would be just a starting point to go from since I have no experience with the program. If everyone went lock down on their sequences I think it would hurt the group overall. Many would view it as a private party that they are not invited and would view it in a bad way.