Light-O-Rama Forums

lor2 FYI

JEFFREYM

I was really disappointed when i walked into Home Depot only to find pre sequenced light controllers w / music included for 99.oo dollars one problem though they IS FROMA CHINA i guess this means is that we are still waiting for lor 2 as next season the china machine might have been perfected and we dont want that now do we! ( REALLY AFTER ALL THE HARD WORK YOU ARE PUTTING INTO LOR2) I DONT WANT YOU TO FEEL THE WAY I DID WHEN I SAW IT . I WAS BUMMED YEAR OF WORK KINDA WENT POOF!:(

What work went out the window? I saw that same device, it uses 6 channels, it only has prerecorded songs, I didn't look to see how much power can go through it, but I do know it was a single wall plug. That doesn't translate into a lot of lights. You have something that can be expanded to well beyond 6 channels with ANY music you see fit, that you customize to your house and style as well as to what kind of lights you use. You can do NONE of that with the GE box. They arent going to sell a LOR. Relax, let

Plus I thought the programming on those systems kinda sucked myself (no offense to their programmers, I just like different than that). I think it's good for LOR actually as people get a taste of what is possible and want more.

The only way those pre-packaged boxes compare to LOR is for those who only buy one controller, and used pre-purchased, canned sequences.

For the rest of us with many channels and lots of custom programming geared to our specific display, there's no way those products can compete.

Not sure which product you're talking about, but if it's the Mr. Christmas one, it was available last season as well.

The general public isn't ever going to spend hours and hours syncing lights to music like we do. Even as the software (LOR II and beyond) make syncing easier, it's targeted at enthusiasts and pro displays, not the general homeowner who wants to drag the box of lights out after Turkey dinner on Thanksgiving and have them up and running that night...

The new Gemmy music-synced trees do seem a lot closer to what we do, but again that's one display (2 or 3 trees) and if they're popular, they will quickly lose their cool factor, since they're the same thing every place they're used, unlike our custom-programmed displays.

This is one reason I've never been big on sharing sequences. I like all displays to be unique...

Just my thoughts, of course...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

This is one reason I've never been big on sharing sequences. I like all displays to be unique...

-Tim

I disagree Tim. I do believe in sharing sequences. Most of us are far from another. As far as I know there is only one other in my city running a display. But in sharing sequences to me is not for each other to use (since our setup is most likely different) but it can give us ideas to borrow and use in our own sequences. I do plan to share mine once I get them finished.

Tom

Nonick22 wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

-Tim

I disagree Tim. I do believe in sharing sequences. Most of us are far from another. As far as I know there is only one other in my city running a display. But in sharing sequences to me is not for each other to use (since our setup is most likely different) but it can give us ideas to borrow and use in our own sequences. I do plan to share mine once I get them finished.

Yeah, I understand the positives and I'm not saying it shoudn't happen or that I'd never share. I just think the downside is that we end up with lots of "Wizards in Winter" and "Beethovens 5th" and any number of other sequences that "everyone" does. I'd rather see the unique stuff myself.

And again, just my personal opinion, not claiming it's right ;)

-Tim

True. there are a lot of "Wizards in Winter" out there. but that is a great sond and an easy song to program to. Myself I chose one I did not see on the web anywhere. and I had my father arrange the second for me. Nobody else will have that one this year.

I shared all my sequences because I know there is a really good chance that anybody that sees my display is not going to see that persons display. We are all pretty spread out.

Plus I know that my sequences are very customized to my display and it would be very hard to just run my sequences and have it look decent. I use a lot of patterns and color changes that are based on my display and I am sure it would look very disorganized if somebody took it and just assigned their lights to whatever channels.

Some people have a hard time grasping how to do things though in LOR and it is useful for a newbie to see a real sequence running.

This is another reason why I don't think canned sequences look very good. If you are making a sequence to work on a wider variety of displays and trying to make it "plug and play" you pretty much just have to program it to just turn lights on and off to the sound of the music, no patterns or color changes.

I have to admit though that I have seen better Mr. Christmas Displays that look better than an LOR setup. This only happens though when somebody only has a few channels and are just turning lights off and on.

LOR is a very powerful system that can blow the Mr. Christmas Boxes out of the water because there are much fewer limits and you can really create about anything you can think of.

I think these might be a good thing. For $80 someone can have something a little different form the rest of the neighbors. They will like it, but then they will wish for more. I see some of these folks as potential LOR customers.

There are pros and cons to sharing sequences. Pros- it can help someone out in a pinch. Cons- just look at what went on at PC last year when people thought they deserved to be given sequences and the music to go with them.

I have given two songs since I started this and have used one myself. Even then I made a ton of changes to the darn thing.

Here is the other con. My coro project with Porky Pig as an example. Just his voice, just his mouth movement nothing else, took me 13 hours to do. Then I had the other 400 plus channels. The song is only a little over two minuts.

Man I am taking that one to my grave. Unless someone buys him from me after Christmas and then I will give them the sequence. ;)

Robin wrote:

There are pros and cons to sharing sequences. Pros- it can help someone out in a pinch. Cons- just look at what went on at PC last year when people thought they deserved to be given sequences and the music to go with them.

I have given two songs since I started this and have used one myself. Even then I made a ton of changes to the darn thing.

Here is the other con. My coro project with Porky Pig as an example. Just his voice, just his mouth movement nothing else, took me 13 hours to do. Then I had the other 400 plus channels. The song is only a little over two minuts.

Man I am taking that one to my grave. Unless someone buys him from me after Christmas and then I will give them the sequence. ;)

Well Richard hit the nail on the head about the sequencing. If you want your music to strobe on and off to the beat/lyrics/whatever, then sharing sequences works ok. But personally I really, really don't like the look of that. I much prefer "effects" whether it be a MegaTree, chasing trees, or whatever... I tend to have varying chases that change with the beat. Rareily, I might strobe or toggle a few channels to the beat or lyrics.

The new Gemmy synchronized trees look so nice because they tend to use the "effects" of chasing, color changing, and the like, rather than just blinky blinky to the beat. But like Richard said, you can't do that in general unless you're going to tell people that they need 12 channels of chasing trees, or a 12-channel mega-tree (x however many colors, or whatever...

I didn't really intend to cause this thread to go off on a "share vs. not share" tangent. I was just saying that I highly value originality. The displays that really stand out to me are people who have done unique things (Marty seems to break new ground every year, for example: the coro brass quintet, the singing deer, the talking heads, that cool fan-shaped thing...)

-Tim

I work for the "big orange box" and I have to tell you, I got nervous when I saw those "lights in a box". I mean I just laid out a significant sum of money for the LOR box, lights, and ext. cords. And then I find that on the shelf one day. Then I took a good look at it. It really is a piece o' junk compared to LOR. The expandability alone is worth the price of the LOR box. With a theoretical limit of 3840 channels (240 units x 16 channels per unit) the LOR system alone is HUGE by comparison. My largest nightmare is three neighbors across the street with that silly system all showing the same displays but off by 1/2 of a song. Talk about unoriginal. yikes!

After thinking that, and then actually looking at that system I was thrilled that I invested in the LOR.

Besides, I think half the fun is actually programming the sequences myself.

Here is my two cents! I too was a little disappointed to see Mr. Christmas this year on the shelves until I saw just how junk-o it really is....then I started thinking about the postive of it.....if our neighbors get Mr. Christmas this year, next year etc.....then we will have an easier time dealing with the complaining neighbor that doesn't even decorate for Christmas. Follow if you will.....five neighbors have Mr. Christmas and just like someone said they are about a 1/2 beat off from each other well......we will look like a hero with ours instead of a nuisance because A) you can not hear our music unless you are in a car :) we will not have the same songs for the most part and C) it will make our display look like a million dollars compared to Mr. Christmas. Just my two cents

The last few years it seems fewer and fewer neighbors are putting out lights. I say ANYTHING that gets people to decorate in my neighborhood is fine by me!

Of course, I want to be the coolest kid on the block. :)

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing others decorate more. It's funny how many really do for Halloween but when it comes to Christmas they don't do anything as near as there haloween displays.

I hope it leads those that spend the money this year to true computer control. I guess we shall see huh.

Hey Push Eject, I love that picture, What a shot! Look at the fine body and that perfect Head!

(I was talking about your Guinness!) :) It made me a little thirsty.

Cheers!
Ted

tallan wrote:

I was talking about your Guinness!

That's no Guinness, Ted.

I've been brewing beer since 1999. :)

Stop by for a pint anytime.

2344.jpg

Cheers!

I am just a newbie at brewing also, but is good to see another brewer here.

That is quite a setup...I am impressed.

I just try to do too much at once, LOR and homebrewing in the same year. :shock:

YIKES!!!!