Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX / E1.31 live show

zeighty

Hi Experts! 

I am a newbie this year and have 9 songs sequenced for my 2013 show. It took a lot of time, as you know - to sequence and to setup. 

Here's what I want to do. 

I am looking to do a live show instead of a sequenced show. I have seen a YouTube video using a Enttec Open DMX USB interface and Madrix.  The results were amazing. 

Help with software choices would be great (I cannot afford Madrix)..  I have looked at Lightjams and it might be a contender, but I would like to find open source that cost is a bit less.  

Hardware seems straight forward, but I have been wrong so many times before. 

Any input, opinion or advice will be so appreciated. 

There aren't any free software products out there that can do what Madrix does.

Lightjams comes the closest and for $139 is a very good deal.

Your question might better be asked on one of the DIY forums or Controlbooth.com

I've been guilty of having champagne tastes with a beer budget also.

I have noticed that there have been 34 views of my post, yet no responses. Perhaps a bad time of year to be asking or per haps I wasn't clear. 

I read my post and perhaps I can simplify it. 

I want to control LOR controllers with software such as Madrix and not use Sequencing software at all (S3).  

The most important part of my original post is the software. Madrix would be wonderful, but at $499 I really cannot afford it. The only DMX I have done is with ETC controllers, so I don't have a lot of knowledge of the various software applications for DMX control.  

So, once again, i humbly seek your advice and suggestions.  

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Lightjams will be the choice.

If I can get it in gear I will post my thoughts and results.

I have also been experimenting with SuperStar Instant Sequencer. May workout...

Stay tuned...

There aren't any free software products out there that can do what Madrix does.

Lightjams comes the closest and for $139 is a very good deal.

Your question might better be asked on one of the DIY forums or Controlbooth.com

I've been guilty of having champagne tastes with a beer budget also.

• 6 months later...

Well, just in case anyone reads this as wonders.... I selected Madrix (and yes it is expensive).  It is the only software I found that will assign action to the channels based on a analysis of the music. It will not look like a sequenced show, but I hope it will be enjoyable and get my ultimate message to the audience - we are here to celebrate the tradition of Christmas, but that is second to the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. So hopefully folks will walk away with the thought "that was a nice way to celebrate the birth of Jesus" or "I need to find out more about Jesus and the salvation he brings". 

Merry Christmas to all, it will be here before you know it! 

Edited by zeighty

• The topic was locked