Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange Phenomenon

Ruby60

What's happening here?

The setup: 3 controllers: 1 1602 and 2 CTB16 kits. Controlled by MP3 player.

The scenario: Here in Southern Calif. First rainy day in a long time, so I didn't start up the light show.

Controllers had power on, but the MP3 was disconnected. (Cat 5 cable disconnected) So, no input to controllers. All lights off INITIALLY.

So, I go outside a few hours after the rain begins and WHAT... some LED light strings ON!  (Channels 1,3,5,7 on controller 3 - CTB 16 kit)

These LEDs are connected as follows: Controller to INCANDESCENT Candy Cane, then LEDs strings connected to Candy Cane.

Candy Canes did NOT light up only the LEDs.

Well, I unplugged controllers from power and lights went off.

Can someone explain this?

David

Open up your controllers and see if you have any water in there. This happened to me after a cold rain I thought I had a bad triac, I got the boxes (CTB16) all dried out and they did fine after that. There were water droplets inside the controller. I put plastic garbage bags over the controllers and it hasn't reoccurred.

Well, I unplugged controllers from power and lights went off.

Can someone explain this?

David

The lights could no longer light because you removed the power source!  LOL

Since you built the controller, there could be residue left from soldering that may have become conductive enough with moisture to fire the triacs on those channels.   Try taking the unit apart and clean the board.

I do the garbage bag thing too.

Walt

Well, can't post more pictures... But my controllers are located under the eaves, enclosed in a wooden box with a sloping top.

I opened everything up and it's dry as a bone inside the box and inside the controller.

The box has holes on the front where the cords come out, but the cords hang down... last I knew water doesn't flow uphill.

So, any other ideas?

I'll power up a little later after the sun comes out and dries off everything.

It'll be 70 degrees here today!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, Say it with me..... :)  "Dew point" moisture in the air can condense on a surface, effectively, causing water to flow "up-hill" (well not really).

If your controllers hit the magic "dew point mark" with moist air, dew can form IN THE BOX.....  (the controller box, that is) and since there are some small heating elements in there (the voltage regulators and heat sinks), it can cause a moisture issue.

having the controller boxes in a vertical position (say mounted on a wall or stake) will negate dew condensing and COLLECTING on the surface of the circuit board.

As well proper ventilation (the holes in the bottom where the cables go through), will stop moisture collection, SO do NOT cover them !

Greg

• The topic was locked