Light-O-Rama Forums

Standalone Mode For CTB-08

daniel

How many commands can a ctb-08 (no D) handle in standalone mode? The sequence will be about 9 secs long with 3 channels fading through three colors and a loop. Willl that all fit in the controller? Do fades take up alot of controller memory?

--Daniel L

File is attached below...

Attached files floods.las

the CTB-08 will handle about 10 commands is all. Only use for the 08 in stand alone is for static display or single animation like twinkle or delayed on/off. I don't think you could get a sequence with less then 10 command.

the CTB-08D will handle about 5,000 commands, the same as the rest of the boards.

I think standalone capability was removed altogether from the lastest CTB-08 firmware. I haven't tried, though, but I think Dan mentioned that to me once.

CTB-08's are great for getting the boards very close to spread-out displays, when controlled by a computer MP3 director, or another master device. They're not good for standalone, though.

80 of our 144 channels this year are CTB-08's, so they do the job. Until last year, all of our channels were CTB-08's...

My only complaint is that you can't download firmware into them, so they don't see the level of fixes and updates that the other boards do. Sure would be nice if there was a pin-compatabile upgrade available that allowed this to be retrofitted into older boards...

-Tim

Thanks guys, that answers my questions. I like using the standalone function for these little animation projects, its sad to see this function leaving the ctb-08s, but reading about alll the cool new stuff, I just bet Dan has an even better solution to standalone.

--Daniel L

OK, I now have another question....

That first sequence posteed above is small, 9sec long. The hardware utility says it had to download 88 bytes. Now with my upgraded 30sec sequence, it is smaller at 67 bytes. So why it it reading longer sequences smaller?

--Daniel L

I believe it has to do with the number of state changes in the sequence, not the actual length of time.

-Tim

daniel wrote:

Ahh.. So it is not really downloading the sequence to the controller, it is just getting the data into its own format which size reliseon the number of changes?

Someone behind the magic curtain would have to confirm, but that's the way I think it works.

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

daniel wrote:
Ahh.. So it is not really downloading the sequence to the controller, it is just getting the data into its own format which size reliseon the number of changes?

Someone behind the magic curtain would have to confirm, but that's the way I think it works.

-Tim

We had a time where we did remove the standalone mode to get LED support into the CTB08... We have replaced standalone in the latest verson. The program space is now 99.96% used so we will not be adding much more to it.

Very little standalone capability in the CTB08. LOR commands are variable length and the information is compressed. Fades take more space than on/off... It is hard to determine the number of commands.