Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR with DMX computer needed

musicman130

I've been using LOR for 8 years now and am going to start into RGB's and DMX along with running the regular LOR boxes.  I was wondering if you need a more powerful computer to run both at the same time?  I'm not real concerned about the computer we use for Christmas as it has windows 7 on it so it is relatively new.  We are going to start a hallowen display at a different location and will probably be using the laptop that I sequence with.  It has an AMD Turion X2 processor, 3 gig RAM and has vista on it.  Will this have enough power to run the show?  It is a laptop, not sure if that matters, or should I get a different computer to run the show?  I probably will get a new computer eventually since this is the one I sequence with and if I'm not finished with Christmas before Halloween starts I might be in trouble.

thanks

You should be fine. My show computer is an old dual core Pentium with 1 gig of RAM running XP that I paid just over $100 for as a factory refurb from Tiger Direct in the fall of 2012. For Christmas I am running just under 1,000 pixels on E1.31 plus a few normal LOR controllers. CPU load runs less than 10%.

This link might help: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/22494-dmx-testing/

If you get a good DMX unit, it will have outboard processing so there's no delay in your shows.

Some of the cheaper ones (the "Open" type) use your laptop to do the DMX timing.

If you're looking for simple, the LOR iDMX-1000 is the answer.

If you're more of a technical type of person, maybe the HolidayCoro unit would work.

I was going to get the holiday coro one to get started with my dumb strips for floods and spot lights for Halloween.  Probably another year before I get the cash for the pixel tree since I'll need pixels, controller and then the big amount of money for superstar.

I'm running 3 LOR controllers and a half universe of DMX off a laptop that's probably 5-6 years old without any problems. I'm using an Entec Open USB DMX dongle so the laptop is doing all the DMX processing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had LOR for about 6 years now & am just getting into the CCR & the DMX sytems, I have been reading other forums about DMX & am a little confused, the adapter from LOR (idmx1000) can be connected to a LOR controll via cat5, but the ones that holiday cora sell they need to be hooked up to a seperate USB port on the computer.  Which one is better?

I've been thinking about doing a text board or mega tree, do the dumb pixels work just as good as the CCR or is best to use the CCR's?

I have had LOR for about 6 years now & am just getting into the CCR & the DMX sytems, I have been reading other forums about DMX & am a little confused, the adapter from LOR (idmx1000) can be connected to a LOR controll via cat5, but the ones that holiday cora sell they need to be hooked up to a seperate USB port on the computer.  Which one is better?

From the post above:

If you're looking for simple, the LOR iDMX-1000 is the answer.

If you're more of a technical type of person, maybe the HolidayCoro unit would work.