Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat5- trouble feeding into enclosure

lowepg

I know this sounds stupid.... But I'm having issues feeding the cat5 cables into my enclosures thorough the small hole in the bottom of the ctb16-PC.

On a couple enclosures I actually just closed the door over the cat5 cable and I think I messed up a cable doing that- so I'd like to connect them properly.

I bought all new cables too for my new controllers so it really aggravating. They all have a fairly heavy rubber "button-protector" on them and this is adding to the issue of squeezing them into the enclosures.

I'm assuming there's an obvious solution to this- but it's escaping me ;-)

Cut off the rubber boot or go buy more cables without the boot. Not only are you having problems getting them through the hole. You will screw up the connectors on the board trying to put the plugs in the connectors. Yes the boot would help protect they locking tab, but someone that designed these boards and boxes didnt think that far.

Put one cable through the hole at a time!

Before you put the cable into the connector on your controller, bend the cable 90 degrees (close to the connector).  It's snug, but it works.  I started using Cat6 cables this year.

I hate the boxes without the feed through holes.  I have a few of them and I cringe when I close those boxes on the cables. 

Walt

I hate the boxes without the feed through holes.  I have a few of them and I cringe when I close those boxes on the cables. 

I had the same thought. But then I remembered that I own a drill. :)

wbaker is special. He puts his pants on, both legs at the same time. Frankly I dont think any of us can do that, nor both Cat 5 cable connectors at the same time.

"nor both Cat 5 cable connectors at the same time"

Never said that.  I said... "Put one cable through the hole at a time!"

I agree, CUT THE BOOT !!!

The boot will break the connector ON THE BOARD ! (as well as being a pita on the cables through the hole)..

Greg

• Like 1

"nor both Cat 5 cable connectors at the same time"

Never said that.  I said... "Put one cable through the hole at a time!"

You said one cable at a time. So, if your telling him to do that. Then you are suggesting that he is trying to put both through at the same time. So, I was laughing that you can do both at the same time, but your special and no one else can do it like you.  Ya stretch of the mind. But yet, really how many of us would need to be told to do just one cable at a time.

I agree, CUT THE BOOT !!!

The boot will break the connector ON THE BOARD ! (as well as being a pita on the cables through the hole)..

Greg

obviously i see how the boot is a PITA for fitting thru the hole, but how does it damage the connector?

also, lol  at those telling me to feed one at a time :-)

I'm really surprised this is an issue. Been LORing since 2006 and never had a problem with cat5 going in and out of the controllers.

Must be a redisign issue of the enclosure? cuz my early model/controllers are easy to hook up.

I'm really surprised this is an issue. Been LORing since 2006 and never had a problem with cat5 going in and out of the controllers.

Must be a redisign issue of the enclosure? cuz my early model/controllers are easy to hook up.

I have 4 controllers-- the original is in a metal box, the one i bought the next year is in plastic, but getting cat 5 in was a PAIN, and the screw to open it was square drive only.  The 2 units i bought the next year have a nice hole in the bottom for the cat 5, and have phillips screws to close.  It's obvious the LOR gets different enclosures, when available.

Colin

2006, there was no PC controller, only the 1602, which is always in a metal enclosure. 2007 was the first year the PC series existed. 2008 was the first (and I believe only) revision to the PC series case.

As to the boots damaging the sockets on the board. The sockets are so close together (side by side). And the boots make the plugs a little thicker and will cause the socket to spread some to allow the plug n boot to seat.

Would not surprise me that there might be a issue with the cords pressing against the cover also. I removed the boots as soon as I realize that it was going to cause the sockets to spread, left and right.

• The topic was locked