Light-O-Rama Forums

Fried USB485 Adapter?

Pecacheu

I hate to, but I really think it needs to be said. Well I was laughing (in my mind) at everyone around me using cheap Chinese animated-lighting controllers and adapters, because unlike them, I ordered almost all LOR equipment. That way, everything would fit together, and be compatible, and still be working next year, not to mention that it even has it's own software suite.

Unfortunately, while all their Chinese stuff still worked with minimum modification, I stopped laughing when I opened the box, because ever since then Iv'e run into problem after problem after several more problems. And not with any of the other stuff I bought (except for the RGB floodlight, which was so broken that I ended up gutting it and substituting my own controller and power supply and everything), but only with the LOR stuff. However I managed to fix them with my screwdriver, pliers, soldering iron, and duct-tape. Oh, and reset buttons, those are nice. I did wish the software wasn't so buggy though, but that's for another topic.

The point is I write too much. But put simply, the problem I can't solve is my USB485 adapter won't work anymore (it worked fine for the past 5 days.)

I was just sitting there with the LOR hardware utility open trying to figure out why the "Reverse First String / Ribbon" check box could be clicked on one of my CCR controller's configuration screen, when all of the sudden it crashes (like it does when the adapter is suddenly unplugged), and a message pops up saying "A short circuit was detected on one of your USB ports." It can't be the computers fault, I've had it for almost a year, something's always in the USB port (only one, it's a tablet), and that's never happened, and the USB port works again if I plug in anything else. It's not the cable, I tried it on my DVD drive, which has never fried itself, and that works fine, and I also tried using the adapter with the USB cable from my graphics tablet, which has never fried itself, while my clock was ticking, which has never fried itself, while on planet earth, which has never fried itself (probably.) So anyway, every-time I plug the adapter in, the short circuit message comes up again, and the LOR hardware utility can't see it.

Anyway, USB485, Short Circuit, Worked For 5 Days.

You might contact the retailer you purchased your USB485 from if still under warranty, and ask for an RMA to return it for repair/replacement.  Sounds like a latent defect in your USB485 device.

Jim

Not necessarily take a meter and measure if there is any voltage between the minus of your power supplies and the computer housing... I bought 4 power supplies last year and they have the ground connected to the plus side of the output which caused a -12 Volt between the minus of the PSU and the computer ground which fried all kind of things (an Entec and a LOR dongle)

Ever since - first actin after a DHL delivery is a full QC and test of various parameters... And I purchased a ton of isolated splitters...

Not necessarily take a meter and measure if there is any voltage between the minus of your power supplies and the computer housing... I bought 4 power supplies last year and they have the ground connected to the plus side of the output which caused a -12 Volt between the minus of the PSU and the computer ground which fried all kind of things (an Entec and a LOR dongle) Ever since - first actin after a DHL delivery is a full QC and test of various parameters... And I purchased a ton of isolated splitters...

My computer is anodized aluminum I think, so almost no conductivity on the case. Also does that mean I should replace it with the isolated one?

I prefer the isolated ones to protect my other equipment from any kind of stray voltage... With a good mile of cable And over 1000 connectors there is always a good chance of things going wrong.

Regarding measuring the voltage - you are right, an anodized housing would prevent this however you can always measure from the outer metal of a USB connector...