Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Director - Sound but no lights

lanopie

I created a show using the Hardware utility, added 8 songs with the programming, no errors sending it to the SD card which came with the Director.  Inserted SD card into the Director and wait for the show to start, music starts but no lights.  Left it on for a few songs and still no lights.

When I was testing I was testing with only one song or just an animation file on the SD card and everything was working.  Now I have to go back to my PC.  Everything works fine from the PC.

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!

This may sound like a stupid question but do you have the cat 5 plugged into the director and running to your first controller?

What network connector are you using on the G3?  Net 1 or Net 2?  What speed did you configure the network for when you created your show?  If you configured for 500K, you have to have newer controllers that can handle those speeds.  Start with a lower speed and see if that works.  

If you use Net 2, your show has to be configured to use that network.  Standard is network 1.

In my config, I have all standard lights on Net 1 running at the 57.6K speed and my CCB's and CCP's are on Net 2 running at 500K.

I'm using Net 1 in the Cat5 and the speed is 57.6K, the recommended.

This weekend I will try put the show on the flash drive from my laptop, see if that is going to make a difference.

If that doesn't work, should I try a lower speed still?

That speed is fine.  Check the controllers to see if the status LED is on solid or blinking.  If blinking, the controller is not connected to the G3-MP3.  (Bad cable, bad cable type).  It should be on solid when you hear the music when a show is playing.   You may need to check your cables.

I will check that.  If I take the same cable out of the Director and plug it in my PC the whole show works, lights and sound.  I will go and check for the status LED and report back.

Thanks!

Ran a check this morning. When the music started the light was still blinking. 

Took the Director outside and a 1foot cat 5e patch cord and plugged it in directly in the controller.  Time came on the Director, so I guess I have power.  Inserted the flash card and the show initialized and started.  Light still blinking.  Tried another network cable from work and the same result.

Is it possible the CAT 5 connection in the director are faulty cause I did try both.

Confused!

Help!!

I opened up a ticket with the support team and I will wait to see what they say.

Did you get any resolution from LOR?

Tonight, I was changing my show by adding another sequence and things went south :(

I have music but no lights.  The first controller has a blinking light.  Unplugging the cable from the G3-MP3 and plugging it into my USB-485B and running a show from there on my laptop, everything works correctly.

On the MP3, with no SD card installed, the light blinks.  Plugging in a card, the light goes steady red while it is initializing.  Then it goes out when it finishes initializing and the music starts playing.

I then plugged the MP3 into the 485B and the correct time displays and the red light flashes.  Starting the Hardware utility (ver 3.10.6), the utility can not see the MP3 player.  (MP3 Not Connected)                                                        

I have only had the G3-MP3 for a little over a month.  Hope it has not gone out.  Any thoughts?  Doesn't look good.

Make sure there is no SD card in the G3-MP3 when you are connected to your PC.

You may want to try loading your sequences on the SD card again and make sure you "eject" the SD card instead of just removing it.  "Ejecting" allows the file buffers to be flushed and all writes to the SD card to complete.  

Make sure there is no SD card in the G3-MP3 when you are connected to your PC.

You may want to try loading your sequences on the SD card again and make sure you "eject" the SD card instead of just removing it.  "Ejecting" allows the file buffers to be flushed and all writes to the SD card to complete.  

No SD in the MP3 when it is connected to the 485B and the SD card is properly removed from the SD reader/writer.

When the ethernet cable is connected to the MP3, the MP3 powers up with the correct time showing, inserting the SD card we get music but no video and the first controller blinks (no connectivity).  Taking the same ethernet cable connector and plugging it into the 485B connected to my laptop, all works correctly.

Next plugging the MP3 into the 485B, the MP3 powers up correctly but the Hardware utility does not see the MP3.

Looks like the interface from the MP3 computer to the ethernet jack as been fried.  I have tried plugging the lights ethernet cable into both of the RJ45 connectors with no changes.  I have not configured an RJ12 to see it there is any difference.  I would doubt it.

My problem has been solved.  LOR sent me a new MP3 and everything is working again. :)

The problem appears to be that the computer portion of the MP3 lost the ability to communicate with the RJ45's.  It could still get the power but not communicate with the controllers or when plugged into the 485B, could not be seen by my computer.  Therefore I was unable to diagnose it, update the firmware etc, from the Hardware utility.

• Like 1