Light-O-Rama Forums

Can anyone open this file?

LightsByGreg

Last night I started sequencing and it took me about 3 hours to lay out the channels and draw my animation. Everything seemed to work fine. I even opened and closed the program more than once. This morning I went to open the file and I get an error that the file cannot be opened. What gives?

Greg

Attached files CHRISTMAS2007.zip

LightsByGreg wrote:

Last night I started sequencing and it took me about 3 hours to lay out the channels and draw my animation. Everything seemed to work fine. I even opened and closed the program more than once. This morning I went to open the file and I get an error that the file cannot be opened. What gives?

Greg
The file CHRISTMAS2007.lms is 0 byts, but the backup file I renamed and I was able to open.

Attached files CHRISTMAS2007A.lms

I think I figured out why I had the problem. I am not programming on my show machine, as it is in NJ and I am in PA right now. Everything is being saved on my flashdrive. Well I guess somehow I filled all 479 MB of it. I cleared it out and its all good now. But I am backing up to this machine, as the first 30 seconds of my song took over 2 hours to program :shock:

Thanks guys for the help!

It served me well for over 2 years! BUT, I did clear out some unneeded files and now I have 201 MB free

And now I have 1 minute and 14 seconds done. Only 29 minutes and 17 seconds to go! :shock:

Greg

Jeff Millard wrote:

FiveCents wrote:
The file CHRISTMAS2007.lms is 0 byts, but the backup file I renamed and I was able to open.

Just so everyone else learns from FiveCents experience and Greg's good fortune, I want to point out how that file was recovered. Each time you save a file, you'll see two status bars zip across the screen. LOR is copying the curent file to a backup while saving your work to your sequence. If you find yourself having the same problem Greg had where you can't get a sequence to open due to a file problem or corruption, immediately copy the backup file to a new file and remove the .bak extension from the copy. That way you will leave the backup intact and have a copy of the backup to use as a sequence. This is a really good part of this software. Nothing is worse than trying to open a data file in any sofware and finding that your work is lost. Also, as Greg wisely put it, "better backups" Please, please, please, copy your data files to another location regularly. It makes no difference where and how you do it. You can put it on zip drives, CDs, DVD, SD Chips, external harddrives, network server, other computers, {floppy disks...LOL} or whatever. The possibility that Mr. Murphy will visit files that aren't backed up is too great, and this hobby takes way too long for you to lose all your hard work.

Jeff

This is a really great feature. I am very use to using this feature with AutoCAD. The only downfall is that you get two files rather then one taking up hard drive space. Easy solution for that thou. Any .bak files that I have that are over a year old I delete from our server.