Light-O-Rama Forums

Half of the controllers don't respond

Denny

I have been using LOR for 6 or more years and have never run across this problem.  I am using 20 controllers, a mixed variety of types and versions, but all are LOR controllers.  All controllers are recognized in the hardware utility and can be controlled through the hardware utility.  However, when I try to run a sequence, approximately half the controllers don't respond.  All the controllers show a solid red LED.  I have checked and double checked the channel configurations and network(s).  I have tried a single network and have split the controllers into two separate networks with no change in the end result.  As I mentioned, the hardware utility correctly identifies each controller.  I am at a loss as to what to check/try next.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall something about a hard reset on the controllers, but would that be required/work based on the hardware utility finding the controllers?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but I would disconnect all the cat 5 cables except for the first one in line and run a sequence. Keep plugging in cat 5 cables one at a time until you find the problem occuring. This may help you identify a bad cat 5 cable or controller socket. Change out the cable or isolate the controller to see if this is your problem.

If the HU finds them all.. and can control them all.. you have a software disconnect somewhere.

If the HU finds them, does it have them labeled as you expect?  ie... 01,02,03,.....  If so then they are IDed correctly.

So now the network settings.. I know you said you checked... but... something is happening.. (or not happening in this case).  Just for grins... open the Channel config under tools and see if they are all on the "regular" network. I suspect they are divided into Reg and Aux A.   If so then go to the network Preferences and see if you have a Comm designation for whichever networks you found in the Channel Config.

It sounds like you are looking at something with your mind and perhaps missing it with your eyes..  Happens to a lot of us when we look at the same thing too many times... :blink:

Had a similar issue myself this weekend with 10 controllers. I did a rest on my #3 box...(unplugged it...set the dials to 0/0 powered it up...fast blink on the led and unplugged it again...set the box back to #3 and still had a problem. this time the LED was blinking after I had the control panel enabled...found a lose Cat5 downstream form that box...

I gave up yesterday after a frustrating day of troubleshooting, checking and rechecking.  Decided to sleep on it and start over again this morning.  As with most of my issues, I couldn't see the forest for the trees to find the errors.  Stupid, really obvious mistake, but will swallow my pride and pass it on for others benefit.  It goes back, way back, to the way I sequence.  I am always afraid I will erase, lose my sequencing, so I back up and back up, including my .lcc, channel configuration, files.  As I save them, I just add a new letter to the end of the file name, such as 2013a, 2013b, etc.  Well, somehow, I imported one of the old, saved, channel configuration files into one of my sequences.  Somewhere along the line, I saved it again with a new extension.  Like a virus, I imported the corrupt configuration file into other sequences.  See where this is going?  I even printed out the channel configuration when I was trying to troubleshoot and still didn't catch the errors!!!  Anyway, after correcting the sequences, everything is running fine tonight.  I deleted all those old configuration files and now only keep the most recent two, each with significantly different names now.  The crazy thing is, all that looking at those printouts yesterday, I didn't see the problem.  After a night's sleep, I saw it as soon as I looked at the printouts this morning.  Hope this helps others, backups are great, but be careful what you reload!

• Like 1

It sounds like you are looking at something with your mind and perhaps missing it with your eyes..  Happens to a lot of us when we look at the same thing too many times... :blink:

Yep.. that happens.. Glad you found it..

Yep.. that happens.. Glad you found it..

The more experienced you "think" you are, the more stupid you become!  Living proof!