Light-O-Rama Forums

having problems with ctb-16kv6

ggmoore1

i put together my first kit and powered it up, and the led would not light up. the transformer is getting hot i have 110 going to the transformer, but only 8 volts coming out. i used a mag glass to look for shorts but could not find any. for the voltage to drop that much, what area should i look at to find the problem.

thanks for any help

ggmoore1 wrote:

i put together my first kit and powered it up, and the led would not light up. the transformer is getting hot i have 110 going to the transformer, but only 8 volts coming out. i used a mag glass to look for shorts but could not find any. for the voltage to drop that much, what area should i look at to find the problem.
There is a short somewhere. Take a look at the Kit Troubleshooting Guide on the LOR support page. I had put a section in for your case a while ago, but have only just put it up on the support page.

I had a similar problem on one of my CTB16K kits.
You can read about it HERE.
Also check for solder bridges on the component side of your board.

Good Luck!

thanks, i checked both of them and they looked good. i took it into work last night and asked one of the et's to look it over in the next couple of days and see if he sees anything. i wished i had a wiring diagram to help in troubleshooting