Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Channels

kevin

I got my iDMX in yesterday. I plug it into the USB-485b and get a solid light when I launch Hardware Utility 1.6.6. I scan for units and it finds 16 units starting with E0.

I select the E0 unit and when I click on the circuits to test I can get my ColorSplash to Turn on and by selecting the differant channels I can get it to change colors.

I.e. I select Ch 3, send an ON command and it lights up red, Ch 4 and 5 also work and control the colors. on, off and all the effects work fine from here.

I go to the console - Select iDMX as the controller, and select Virtual Controller for the DMX channels. The default unit id is 1. I can not get anything to work

I change the unit ID menu to 0 and as soon as I try to move any slider I get the error..
"Run-time error '9'. Subscript out of range Trace: Send Command, Trace Set Itensity"

What am I doing wrong...

My iDMX is set to the default of E0
My Colorsplash DMX ID is set to 26. I tried setting the ID to 1 and no change
Colorsplash has 5 DMX channels:
Ch 1 - Reserved
Ch 2 - Blackout/Strobe/Dimmer
Ch 3 - Red
Ch 4 - Green
Ch 5 - Blue

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin,

I don't own any Colorsplashes but I do have Colorado3's. I assume the addressing is the same for both since Chauvet manufactures both.

Go back over your manual and read the difference between "DMX-512 control without "ID" address and "DMX-512 addressing with ID address.

Try using the "without ID address" and set one Colorsplash to DMX ch 001.

Charles

In the console you set unit ID to E0, and you can control DMX channels 1-16 on your DMX network. If you were to set your colorsplash to ID 1, you'd be able to control the 6 channels in the console using the first 6 sliders. Since you have your colorsplash set to 26... I'm pretty sure this will work....

E0 controls DMX channels 1-16

E1 would control 17-32

so if you set console unit ID to E1, you should be able to control your colorsplash starting with slider # 10 (which should show up as E1.10).

Unless you have a ton of DMX channels in your show, you might find it easier to set your colorsplash #1 as ID 1, and if you have a second set it to 17, a third at 33 - this will allow you to control each fixture starting with the first channel of each group of 16 channels.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion.. I figured out what I was doing wrong.....

In the console pull down unit ID menu I was selection "0" Not "E".

But it appears that the sliders do not correspond with the DMX Channels They appear to be 1 off. i.3. Slider 3 controls DMX chan 2.

Anyone else see this happening?

the one thats off is a ColorSplash JR. I have no problems with my 220B, or any of my other DMX units. But both of the ColorSplash Jrs are off, i.e. Chan 2 which controls the dimmer pak is controlled by E0.3. I'm begining to think it might be a Chauvet issue.

The Jrs were just upgraded from a 4 Chan to a 5 Chan system with Ch 1 being "Reserved for future application". what ever that is...

Just a note for anyone useing the Chauvet Colorsplash Jr (aka colorsplash PAR 83).

I'm really liking the potential for this DMX control with LEDs. Only if I had enough money to get one of those LED walls...... Oh what fun I could have....

• The topic was locked