Light-O-Rama Forums

lining the ribbon up

bjaremco

I am amazed by the CCR and am thinking of getting it.  But what I do not understand is how to line the ribbon up.  What I mean is lets say you have 1 ribbon and you wrap it around a tree like a garland.  How do the designs that you program know how and where to overlap into the next wrap of the ribbon on your tree?  For instance if i programmed a spotlight effect that was 4 ribbons wide how does the ribbon align those 4 sections of the spotlight across the wraps to make it look like a spotlight?  Further, when i wrap the same tree next year i probably wonèt wrap it exactly the same way i did the year prior, will that spotlight design be all messed up?

There must be some feature to calibrate or align it to take care of this but i have not come across it yet in anything i have read about it thus far.

It sounds like what you are trying to accomplish is a Marie display, or effects like what you'd see reproduced on a screen such as what you see on a CCR tree like this:

I don't this there is any feasible or efficient way to accomplish the actual programming of effects like what you are suggesting by "wrapping" the ribbons around an object. Maybe Madrix will do it, perhaps someone either expertise using it can comment. The physical setup aspect can probably be over comrades with some ingenuity.

Not a Marie display, my tablet has not had enough coffee and these forums suck for lacking edit functionality. I meant MATRIX!

Pardon the other autocorrect boo boos as well but I think you can understand what I'm saying :-)

If you wrap a CCR around a tree it would be a waste since you wouldn't see all of the strip, some would be facing backward. If you used CCB's or CCP's wrapping would work. Most of the effect you see are done with the Super Star software add-on package.

For me this hobby is all about precision. I work hard to make sure the lights are in sync with the music and that every element is made exact. If I were to build a tree with a garland on it that required the kind of precision you require I would set it up from the beginning to be able to be duplicated year after year.

First, I would not ever put a CCR on a tree for 2 reasons:

1) you have the possibility to damage the CCR. These ribbons are electronic circuit boards that can handle only so many flexes. A tree would really make it tough on that CCR.

2) you lose so much of the effect by having half of the ribbon in a non-viewing position. It takes some time for an effect to be programmed and a good amount of cash for that ribbon to not have it seen. See, only one side of the ribbon has LEDs on it, so if you were to look on the back of the CCR you would see nothing.

That said, if you want to reproduce your element year after year there is always a way to do it. You have a known size for your ribbon, you may have a tree that is not mature but you can still make marks, place a screw or eyebolt for points on the tree that the ribbon will touch every year. I would take a string or cord (white or a color that stands out when on the tree) and cut it to the length of the ribbon, then wrap it where I want it. Place my markers on the tree once I am happy. The markers have to last so I would use eyebolts if the trees limbs were large enough. Nylon string or paint if not. If too young I would not use for fear of tree damage. Now once it is all in place take a picture so you can import to visualizer as a custom element. Mark the eyebolts as beginning, end whatever so you can reproduce yearly. Then take down the cord or string and you are ready to program.

All it takes is time and patience. Once you have The visualizer setup with the element you should be able to program precisely. With the markers you should be able to place the ribbon pretty close to the visualizer placement yearly.

But for a garland I would use pixels. And I don't think I would make my trees in a way to require that precise work. I would make the trees as background color wash and build an element such as the CCR tree that you could leave the ribbon on year round to prolong the life of the ribbon and element. Then the focus is on that element with the trees as fill and mood. Pixels on the trees would allow there own moments of ooohs and aaahs but never the main focus.

But that is just how I think and how my yard is.

As for programming, for me it is all about the visualizer. I make sure that I am using a picture of my house with each element as closely represented in size, location and design as possible. Then, when I setup my display I work hard to place it in the exact location. CCR programming is possible with the seq editor or superstar. You can do all the same effects without superstar but superstar makes it much easier...once you learn to use it. Superstar takes a shift in visualizing programming. Anyway, the software can be downloaded and tried for free. You can create an entire set of sequences that work fully without purchase. You just won't be able to start a show or control the lights without a license. But you can see the sequence in the visualizer on your computer. I made several sequences prior to purchase and I used them in my show so it isn't a waste of time.

Good luck

Sax

• The topic was locked