Light-O-Rama Forums

Unsure Why Sequences are bogging down?

Ralph A

I can't figure out why my Sequences are getting bogged down.  I have done everything I know to do and they are still running slowly on the complicated portions of the Show.  Here are some facts about my situation.

Computer  Intel I-5 2500k  3.3ghz to 3.7 ghz (in turbo) Quad core, HD graphics 3000

Solid State Hard drive

8 GB of memory

64 bit OS Window 7

One Superstar tree consisting of 12 CCR's, Six per network on high speed usb RJ-45 (500k) per network.  I know that I can run up to 5,000 channels on each High speed RJ-48.  I'm running 900 per network for the CCR's

Two CCB Mega Trees.  Each tree is made up of 6 Sets of CCB's.  Each tree is set up on its own network, using a High Speed (500k) Usb adapter.  That's only 1,800 channels per network.

Five CCR's arches set up on it's own network, with High speed USB adapter also.

Regular lighting about 300 channels on a separate network, CTB16PC series version 1 and 2 boards.  On a standard  USB adapter (speed set at 115k)

All the above has the latest firmware.  CCR=V1_17   and CCB's=V1_16.

In network preferences I have all the com ports with high speed adapters  set at 500, and regular at 115k.  I am running the regular network that is on a standard USB adapter out a 3.0 Usb port on the computer.

On the other 3.0 port on the computer I'm running to a USB Hub that has 7 ports (with power).  This Hub is a 3.0 hub.

All com ports on the computer are set at the standard setting of 9,600bits per sec.

I've ran the performance monitor in windows 7 and the processor it only hitting about 35% in the most complicated parts of the sequences.

Here is one other fact that may be the key, but I lack the knowledge to figure it out.  When running the sequence editor with the "Control Lights off" In the visualizer all parts run as they should.  When you select (on) "Control Lights" You can see the seq slow down and act jerky in the complicated parts of the sequence. However in the PE (preference monitor) in windows 7,  I can not see anything at all maxing out, or even close!!

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to post as much info as I could.  If anyone has any ideas as to what this may be, I would be very grateful!!!

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving, and yours shows are going well!!

Ralph

It sounds like your running the sequence from the SE? If so, I experience lagging too. Under Play, uncheck all the play options....Move Grid, Vary Color, ect. That helps but not completely. You shouldn't experience the same lag if running as a show through the control panel.

It sounds like your running the sequence from the SE? If so, I experience lagging too. Under Play, uncheck all the play options....Move Grid, Vary Color, ect. That helps but not completely. You shouldn't experience the same lag if running as a show through the control panel.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I am confused here.  I did run in SE at first.  I then had the same thought as you.  So I took the seq that I'm having trouble with made a show with the one song and closed all but the control panel.  Same lag.  Very, very confusing.

Is the lag on everything or certain networks? You have another PC you can try. I also experience lag with my i5 but not with an i7. Also try one network at a time. Plug the network adapter directly into the PC.

Is the lag on everything or certain networks? You have another PC you can try. I also experience lag with my i5 but not with an i7. Also try one network at a time. Plug the network adapter directly into the PC.

Hey Kevin, thanks again for the help.  I see you live in Riverside.  I grew up in Redondo Beach.  In fact I just came back from there last month. My sister passed away, she lived in Torrance.  Any way here are some of my thoughts on the problem.

I have other computers but this is the best and the fastest.  When I first set up the lights in the yard, I tested it stages as the lights went up.  In this order. Regular lights on the standard network, no problem. Next superstar tree on two separate networks, no problem.  Next 5 CCR arches on a separate network, no problem.  Next east CCB mega tree (6 sets) on two separate networks, this is where the problem started.  And yes it caused the Superstar tree to bog down and even the regular lights (plain LED's) on a separate network. The lag can also be seen in the visualizer, but remember It happens when running just the show, without SE.

Here is something I found out late last night.  I purchased Brian Bruderer seq, Carol of the Bells. For the CCR (superstar) and CCB my mega trees.  So now I'm running a total of   12 CCR's and 12 sets (the two mega trees) same as the seq I'm having trouble with.  With out any lag at all.

The areas that I have trouble with in the first seq are areas that I used the nutcracker to program the activity. This was sequenced back in January and February of this year.  Is it possible that the code in nutcracker is not as efficient as  that in the superstar that Brian writes in?   Because you can see the lag in the visualizer when the "control Lights" is on, but not when it is off.

I think I will reprogram these areas to get me through this year.

Have you heard of this with any others that have used Nutcracker?

Thanks again, and have a great Thanksgiving!!

I have used Nutcracker so I can't say...just looks pretty awesome effects. I had lag issue when I used SS instant sequence. It was very busy seq. There may be a whole bunch of unwanted or unneeded stuff within the sequence that causing it. Just a guess. I had to modified some of the instance seq and did help a little....but who wants to do that?

I too like the Nutcracker effects.  For now I have to re sequence till I can figure out exactly what is causing the problem.

• The topic was locked