Light-O-Rama Forums

Trick or Treat

tallan

Trick or Treat!!!!

A nice treat would be LOR2 so just toss it in my bag or I'll have to trick you.

At least a beta copy or something. :]

Thanks!!!

You know another Great piece of software made it's debut on Halloween, any idea's as to what it was?

Ted

rstephenrrtx wrote:

He said "Great piece of software". LOL :)

rns

Yes I did say Great software, Well I can give you a hint I guess, 1994 was the year.

Well my bag is still empty, I did say a beta would be alright didn't I? :D and Perhaps a beta for the one who guesses it as well, 2 more beta tester wouldn't hurt would it?

I've been waiting 4+ hours now so I may have to pull out the trick, Hmmm I wonder if I sould wait until dark.

well lets see... Oct 31..

1864 - Nevada became a state
1926 - Houdini died
1941 - Mt Rushmore was compleated
1950 - John Candy was born
1956 - 1st American landed a plane at the South Pole
1959 - Val Kemmer was born
2001 - Microsoft reached a tentative settlement over the Anti-Trust

and in 1994 - Great software was released revolutionizing web surfing, allowing us to look up these great events in history.... Hint: Starts with "M"

Oh, and the other "M" released its software that that copied the greatest software from 1984.

kevin wrote:

well lets see... Oct 31..

1864 - Nevada became a state
1926 - Houdini died
1941 - Mt Rushmore was compleated
1950 - John Candy was born
1956 - 1st American landed a plane at the South Pole
1959 - Val Kemmer was born
2001 - Microsoft reached a tentative settlement over the Anti-Trust

and in 1994 - Great software was released revolutionizing web surfing, allowing us to look up these great events in history.... Hint: Starts with "M"

Oh, and the other "M" released its software that that copied the greatest software from 1984.

It was Windows 1.0 -vs- the Macintosh. Too bad MS made some great deals with the EDUs of our world.

Hey Guys,

Well they didn't bite so I am still waiting on the release. :P

I had no idea as to the other software released on Halloween but the one I was refering to was Red Hat Linux version 1.0. Funny wikipedia has it released in November but On the redhat site it's refered to as the halloween release.

Now someone mentioned Netscape as the losing browser, I guess in the begining perhaps but today nothing can touch Firefox. I don't know if it has the lead in the market but I do know IE is implimenting alot of the features it has.

Well eveyone have a great day!

Ted

AH yes, what can you do when IE is incorperated into an OS. Well it maybe the most used but it is not the most secure that is for sure. Plus is doesn't run well on Linux :D

I guess it's just preference, I prefrer a brower I can customize to fit my needs. Don't worry IE has seen the nice features of firefox so you should see stuff like tabbed browsing in the near future. :P

Now I hope you don't think I'm anti Microsoft, I have an XP system. I need it to run the best software package ever LOR! I just wish I didn't have to reboot it so much.

(free, http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/)

Best alternative web browser. Reviews say the Firefox web browser is a viable alternative to Internet Explorer 7, praising its usability, lean size, lack of ActiveX security holes, and convenient features, including tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, an RSS reader, a download manager, a password manager, automatic updates, customized searching and a tweakable interface (themes). A vast number of extensions -- which add functionalities like better eBay searches and form filling -- are also available. Firefox runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. A few web pages still don't display properly in Firefox, so experts say you'll still have to occasionally revert to Internet Explorer.

The only time I have to revert to Inet Explorer is when I need to upgrade my OS or Microsoft Office. Talk about big egos.... "You must use our software for support of our other software".

Windows 95 was the first true PC windows program... Windows 1.0 thu 3.1 were lame attempts, it was just window dressing for dos .. (sorry for the pun)... besides we all can think HP/Palo Alto for the windows look and feel. Another mistake in computer history where a company is banging its head on the wall for a bad decision not to proceed with an new technology.

Yesterday Google stock passed $700 per share. They too were told it was a lame idea and no-one wanted to search the web.. Since Google does not believe in stock split expect that share to rise. In less than 10 years they have become more valuable than Coke stock, and are expected to be close to $900 in the next few years.

Actually Netscape held the market share until Microsoft released and included Explorer with their OS. If you recall windows use to ship Netscape with their windows 3.1 product...

.... edited spelling...

Hey Kevin,

Man your a wealth of knowlege, thanks for sharing that. I take it your in the computer field?

I know a bit but it's always good to learn something on a daily basis, now if I could only retain it. :P

Thanks for the info, I liked the chart thats was great!

Ted

Thanks......I was in the Computer industry for far too long. I watched it all, and even being around it all I am amazed how far it has gone. I remember thinking 16 math functions and 256x64 cell spread sheet in VisiCalc, I could rule the world, even if it took me 35 min to load it off my tape drive. I'm now retired and have forgot most of it, or at least want to.. LOL..

I started working professionally back in 1978 with computers. and playing around with the binary boxes (Homebrew PC) back in the mid 70s. I have been with a few major players back in the early days.

DavBro is the one to thank for the graphs.... I'm just the one with the voices in my head telling me what I remember as the facts.. LOL

kevin wrote:

Actually Netscape held the market share until Microsoft released and included Explorer with their OS. If you recall windows use to ship Netscape with their windows 3.1 product...
I'm just the one with the voices in my head telling me what I remember as the facts..

Ahh, Check your facts. Microsoft never shipped Netscape Navigator with Windows. OEMs maybe (even then I would be surprised, as the agreements would not likely allow it), but not Microsoft.

The first Netscape beta came out in '94, 2 years after Win31 was released.

sorry folks..... Just trying to keep my mind occupied while waiting for LOR II...

I'm more excited over LOR II than I am Christmas itself.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Now I've seen it all. A LOR II thread has degenerated in a browser wars discussion! :P

-Tim

It's just a primer for when LOR unseats Microsoft and takes over the world....

I heard that LOR II was going to include a browser for enhanced Christmas Sites, and a search engine for hard to find sequences.....