Light-O-Rama Forums

220 plugs to controllers

MattCole

I'm getting ready to install additional outlets for my lighting controllers on my breaker box.

Is there any reason that I can't just use a 40 amp (20 per side) 220 volt breaker and outlet that is then wired to the LOR controller (with the appropriate jumpers switched out)?

I would be wiring this to a 4 wire outlet so I would have the 2 hots, nuteral and ground all running to the controller.

Not only would it save some wiring in the controller but it would simplfy some of my house wiring issues.

Thanks,

Matt

MattCole wrote:

I'm getting ready to install additional outlets for my lighting controllers on my breaker box.

Is there any reason that I can't just use a 40 amp (20 per side) 220 volt breaker and outlet that is then wired to the LOR controller (with the appropriate jumpers switched out)?

I would be wiring this to a 4 wire outlet so I would have the 2 hots, nuteral and ground all running to the controller.

Not only would it save some wiring in the controller but it would simplfy some of my house wiring issues.

Thanks,

Matt

A 40A breaker is 40A per side. You'd want a dual-ganged 20A breaker instead.

-Tim

Should work fine. BNot sure what receptacle and plug choices there are for this configuration, but probably a 'twist-lok' type connector.

Looks like the Hubbell L14-20 is what you want.

Ooh, I did just think of an issue. I think that the 16-channel boards need to be on the same leg to dim/fade properly? If you use a dual-gang breaker they will be on opposite legs.

Someone else please chime in to confirm/deny?

-Tim

jim st john wrote:

No, it will work fine. The only issue is if you have 3 phase power.

Great, thanks!

I have more familiarity with the CTB-08's, and the 16's I've used have been wired so both halves are on one input (don't need much power capacity).

-Tim