Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Director help

kharrell76

I am new to the LOR equipment this year. I have done all my programming, and have all my sequences done. I have tested everything with my computer and everything works great. Today I started mounting my G3-MP3 director. I connected the cat5 cable from my number 1 LOR box to the director. I have no screen display at all, however the status light under the bottom of the director is a constant red. I was thinking the LOR box powered the Director, is that wrong??? do I need the power adapter mentioned in the user manual??? My cat5 cable is less than 50' from the number 1 box. or do I have a defective director, with the status light being on and no display?? just at a loss!!!  Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

I know my DC-MP3 Showtime Director gets its power from a powered controller, I would think the G3 should be the same {and from reading the G3-MP3 Director manual looks to do just that as well, get power from a powered controller}. 

So you shouldn't need the adapter.  If the cat5 between the controller and G3 Director is possibly defective, that could be the issue.  Try another cat5 cable and see if that works.  Or it could possibly be you have a loose cat5 jack in the controller, can you wiggle it around a bit?  if so, that could also be an issue as to why the controller isn't powering the Director unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All! After dipping my toe in the water last year with my first pro 1602 and some RTG sequences, I have made a quantum leap this year to creating 3 of my own main sequences, including superstar sequences for my  two new CCRs and just added a G3 MP3 1602 to double my show. I got my CCRs to work with the one 1602, so I have accomplished the basic sequence steps necessary to run the superstar sequence  with the main sequence.

I have searched in earnest, but can't find some info I need.

1) Is it possible to use my new G3 MP3 1602 as a regular additional controller from my PC? I ask this because I am trying, but now my additional new 16 strands of lights are getting the triggers meant for the CCRs,nd the CCRs are doing NOTHING! I have the controllers linked as PC---> PRO 1602 ---> G3 MP3 1602---> CCR1---> CCR2. Each controller is enumerated 1 thru 4 in that same order. I wouldn't mind using my new director this year, but I have some questions before I attempt that.

2) A) If I use the  director will my controllers keep the same numbers I have assigned in the utility? B) When I create the card, do I include my .SUP superstar files along with the music and LMS file? not sure how to ensure the sequences will work togetherC) does the Director automatically recognize the other controllers, or do I need to run utility with the Director to config? D) the inputs/outputs on the director setup as network 2 for CCRs or just run them in series after other 1602?

I'm new so be nice! I really tried to find this info before chattering here!

Happy Holidays!

Kevin

Don't have a G# Director, but was using a DC-MP3 Showtime Director for a couple years, you can't have a show running on ANY Director units at the same it's connected to a PC.  Otherwise, one or the other will take over the show and only those sequences will take precedence.

Having the Director and the PC connected at the same time, both are fighting for control of the lights only if the Director has an SD Card inserted.  And when this occurs, strange things can happen, sequences may not turn on some lights that should be on, and may turn off others that should be on, you will get sporadic lights coming on and off at the wrong times all over your display.

Can't have them both on the same network and control everything, the Director must be on its own network apart from the controllers connected to a PC network.

I am currently using the G3-MP3 Director.  I use two Networks.  Low speed (NET 1) and (500K -  NET 2).

All of my controllers, except for CCBs and CCPs use the low speed connection.

My first 16 Channel controller is approx 20 ft from my G3-MP3 so the G3-MP3 gets its power over that connection (NET1).

My CCPs and CCBs are off of Net 2.

The ABC.sup file you create with superstar needs to be exported to a LMS file - ABC_sup.lms.  That LMS file is then copied and pasted into your main ABC.lms Sequence.

I use the Hardware utility to create my shows.  Using that you specify the ABC.LMS file and others.

You only use the .sup file for Superstar.

Hope this helps.

Walt

Thanks for your comment. I did not attempt to run them at the same time. I just wanted to wait til next year to unplug my LOR1602s from the umbilical cord of my PC. I guess what's baffling me is that when using the G3 MP3 as a "dumb" controller, I don't have two cat 5 inputs on the same network- only one and the phone an network 1 i/o and one cat 5 "out" for network 2. I have learned that I can't have my CCR sequences as a subsequence when uploading to a memory card for MP3 director use, only as a copied and pasted element of the main sequence. So, I have THAT working, but now am having different issues......out of typing time for this morning!

Thanks again for your response

Thanks Walt! I got all of this correct, except I used the simple show builder (me a caveman). TGIF as I will have some time to watch tutorials, read, and try everyone's suggestions!

Have a great Friday!

NEW PROBLEM! I have my G3 MP3 director working great, both LOR1602 controllers pumping along with my 2 CCR rings. The intro of my sequences starts with lights first, then music out of synch! AAARRGGH. After a few seconds, they correct themselves and re-synch, but still quite annoying. Anyone else had this problem and know a fix?

Are your MP3's 128 kbps constant bit rate ? You can check by using Audacity, and set the mp3 to CBR...most mp3's are variable bit rate....at least, that was my problem until I corrected my tunes with Audacity.