Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR networking question...

craigsrobotics

Hi all...I have a  question for those using the commercial controllers with the G3-MP3 director. I've got 3 controllers all daisy-chained via rj45 cables. Without having an SD card inserted, I'd like to connect the PC with the hardware utility to the primary controller (the one with the MP3 director, if possible), and be able to use the hardware utility to test each controller independently without having to connect each controller to the PC...The director has an rj-11, and two rj-45 jacks, one for net 1 and one for net 2. I've got the cat5e cable connected to the net1 rj-45, going to the other controllers, so net2 and the rj11 jacks are open...I read in the manual that if net2 isn't referenced in any of the shows, it will basically "duplicate" the traffic from net1... Where can I connect the rj45 from the computer to the primary controller so the hardware utility can see all controllers? or is this even possible? I've got the usb 485 adapter, fyi. Thanks in advance...

Connect to the *last* controller in the chain, not the first one.

There is something odd about the new G3-MP3 director that makes it difficult (to impossible) to test/see the other controllers when connected it it.

OK, so since the last (third) controller has the rj45  ports labeled "in or out", is it safe to "assume" I can have the second controller connected to one rj45 jack on the third (last) controller, and have the computer connected to the second rj45 port on the third (last) controller, and still be able to "see" all three controllers in the hardware utility? (i.e. can I have two "inputs" connected to one controller, with only one input active (receiving commands from the computer in this case), of course?)

With the exception of the G3-MP3 ... it doesn't matter which RJ45 port you connect to. 

I would suggest disconnecting the G3-MP3 when testing the other controllers. I simply don't know if it would cause a problem. Haven't tested that one yet. 

If you do test, be sure to test the following:

Computer connected to last controller *with* the MP3 connected to controller 2.

Computer connected to last controller *without* the MP3 connected to controller 2.

You could disconnect at the MP3 or Controller 2. Won't matter there. The goal is to see if the MP3 would interfere with being able to see the other controllers.

I would make sure the SD card is removed when running the tests.

SUCCESS! I just ran a test on 1, 2 and 3 controllers individually, then with all three powered on and daisy chained via cat5. No sd card in mp3 unit, and all controllers could be seen in the hardware utility and responded to all commands. Now to grab a beer and balk in the success.....Thanks again Don...

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson... :rolleyes: ... I should have written "balk at the success"....

• The topic was locked