Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Help - Those llights ren

thevikester

Read all the other posts, and not sure if I'm missing something...Control LIghts is checked, and I have the usb dongle plugged in, and my LOR channels are all firing. Comm Listener is on, shows disabled, and packets are being received according to the Sandevices website on all 4 of the IPs' i'm using.  But no lights are coming on those channels. Port is set to 5568 multicast...

I'm using a ethernet hub, and since all controllers are receiving packets, more or less ruled that out...any thoughts??  THanks guys

Do test patterns work from the e682? That will rule out whether it's a controller to lights issue or a pc to controller issue.

All of the sudden test patterns don't work...so I'm guessing controller to lights. JUst updated to new firmware to see if that solves it, but it doesn't. THe only thing I've changed is running 2 PSU's per board, as opposed to 1

Check and make sure both power supplies are working (perhaps one with lights connected is bad? Check voltage output using a multimeter on the pixel outputs).

Did the second power supply introduce a different voltage? Are the jumpers configured correctly for the controller? Is the voltage correct for your pixels?

Does the data led on the controller flash rapidly when a test sequence is activated?

So I have taken all the controllers in, unplugged everything...I had also added extension connectors from Ray, and they must be wired differently, so I rewired each of the clusters, and re tested from the test page, the channels that did not work, had blown fuses, one controller had 5, one controller had 2, the other one had zero, but if the 3 wires, data, etc...weren't right, that would cause it to not receive properly...so thats where I am at until tomorrow, when I can go buy some fuses.

12V  48 strings total, with 55 nodes per string.  So I was running 6 PSU's to make sure I had plenty of power

How many nodes per output? Have you calculated the current draw when all are on? If fuses are blown, especially the 2 amp ones, it sounds like your pixels are drawing too much power.

seems like a bit much for the 682 I think its rated only at 16 rgb smart strips

I run 8 smarts 150 each and 2 xtra off mine

I am making some assumptions here based on the information that has been posted.  Thevikester said that there were 48 strings with 55 nodes each string.  No details were given on the type of nodes shortly I will have to make some guesses.  Assuming that the strings are split evenly between the 16 outputs, makes it 3 strings for each output for a total of 165 nodes per output.  Most of the LED strings we use are about 20mA per color per node.  Therefore with full white, that would be about 9.9 Amps per string (with a 5 A fuse).  If all 2,640 nodes were all white at the same time that would be about 158.4 Amps.  This is far in excess of the capabilities of the E682.  If on the other hand, these nodes are 3 LEDs in series so it's really 55 / 3 LEDs, then the current is one third what I said.  I don't think so since 55 does not divide by 3 evenly.  On the other hand, without knowing what type of nodes these are, I am guessing quite a bit.  The actual numbers could be far different than what I listed.

With all that said, you really could run that much load off an E682 provided that you were NOT using the E682 for power distribution.

Can I guess that this is a matrix?

Ok...thanks for all the input guys...its actually, only 1 string per output, I'm running 3 of the 682 boards, with 2 PSU's per board, oooooods of extra power, no where near any limits.  So in reality, I have one 350 W power source to run, a mere 8 strings of 55 nodes per string.   I have gotten things to work, with the exception that alot of the connectors from Ray, are for lack of a better word, crap, I had a 15% failure rate on strings, and 20% failure rate on connectors.  I spent all day yesterday making a bunch of new connectors, running from auto store to auto store to get 5 Amp fuses,   Each node is rated at  .3 Watts per node full on...I was worried about hitting full capacity of a 29 AMP output on the PSU for each board, if I used the 80% rule for power, so I doubled up to assure that I wouldn't.   

Everything is as it should be, with exception of some lights that won't work...not sure how to fix or diagnose any further with that,  when plugged in, I get a quick blip, and thats it...the lights I'm using are the following http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12V-input-12mm-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated/735790044.html    IF anyone has Ideas on how to fix, or track down the issue, that would be greatly appreciated. I also have one string that has a few multi color lights at the beginning, and then all white the rest of the way...not sure what that s about?  

First, a drawing of how you are connected with power and controllers might help...also, if you wired something wrong..you might have popped the first pixel in each of those strings...

First, a drawing of how you are connected with power and controllers might help...also, if you wired something wrong..you might have popped the first pixel in each of those strings...

The power is and always was hooked up correctly, the ground and the data were reversed on all of them, as I used Ray Wu's direction on what color of wire went to which. So all the solders were uniform, but the inserts into the board were reversed.  The strips i got were as he said, but the nodes were not.  I am probably lucky the boards still work, but if the first pixel gets popped, that is an interesting thought, I will cut out the first one, reconnect, and see if the rest of the string works, if it does, I will be very gracious for that tip.  This is my first foray into RGB, so I have no idea that it could be just one bulb, was figuring, and it still may be the case, the whole string is done.  Will let you know. 

Off hand with ground and data reversed, you likely did no damage. Several people on the forum have reported doing that and it's normally not fatal.

Good luck!

Thanks Jim...the boards tested out fine,  I'm now shifting concern to those strings that don't work, but tomorrow morning, I will be out there cuttin an splicing to see whats what, if all goes well with temp connectors, then i will bring out the soldering station. Stupid paying job is getting in my way of fixing things during the daylight