Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling with a DMX lighting console

stephen23

Hey all,

This seems like a great community you have here... I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I have about using this equipment in a sort of reverse way than I think most people are doing it.

I work as a lighting and video designer, and have run my xmas displays for years from a lighting console and a computer using a program called Qlab, which is a show control program. I'm trying to expand quite a bit this year by adding a bunch more dimmers, but I'm having trouble finding a relatively inexpensive way to do that. My current set up runs on true theatrical dimmers, which are meant to handle much heavier loads than xmas lights, and are expensive - 4 channels for $100 minimum.

What I'm wondering is, if I could get a two or three of the 16 channel controllers here, but just tie them into my existing DMX control? Reading through the various products offered by lightorama, it seems like everything is geared towards adding other DMX controlled fixtures to their controllers, not vice-versa. Is there anyone who could give me tips about what I'd need to buy to do that?

Cheers,

Stephen

The Lightorama controls can operate on both the native LOR network protocol or on a DMX network. If you were to use them on a DMX network each controller would occupy 16 channels of the DMX universe. The channels must all be on the same universe.

DMX Capable  

Already have a communications infrastructure using DMX-512 typically used in the entertainment industry?  We’ve got you covered.  ShowTime CTB16PC series light controllers are smart enough to analyze the type of data network they are connected to and adapt to DMX-512 if needed.  Depending on the unique network assigned to your ShowTime CTB16PC  light controller, it will occupy that DMX-512 address plus the next 15 (for a 16 channel controller.)  The 16 channels must be in the same DMX-512 universe.

I believe they mead DMX 1e.27 and higher over ethernet, not raw DMX rs485. I'm in the same boat. The manuals are vague and loose with the generic DMX slang.

If you know ART.NET thats DMX E1xxxx

Hey all,

This seems like a great community you have here... I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I have about using this equipment in a sort of reverse way than I think most people are doing it.

I work as a lighting and video designer, and have run my xmas displays for years from a lighting console and a computer using a program called Qlab, which is a show control program. I'm trying to expand quite a bit this year by adding a bunch more dimmers, but I'm having trouble finding a relatively inexpensive way to do that. My current set up runs on true theatrical dimmers, which are meant to handle much heavier loads than xmas lights, and are expensive - 4 channels for $100 minimum.

What I'm wondering is, if I could get a two or three of the 16 channel controllers here, but just tie them into my existing DMX control? Reading through the various products offered by lightorama, it seems like everything is geared towards adding other DMX controlled fixtures to their controllers, not vice-versa. Is there anyone who could give me tips about what I'd need to buy to do that?

Cheers,

Stephen

See: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29307-dmx-definition-clarity/?p=272524

Your Qlab software should work well with the LOR controllers.

I've run several of the LOR controllers from ETC's Element console without any problems.

They give the best bang for the buck, but keep in mind that they don't have any toroid noise filters so there may be some audio bleed-thru.

I believe they mead DMX 1e.27 and higher over ethernet, not raw DMX rs485. I'm in the same boat. The manuals are vague and loose with the generic DMX slang.

If you know ART.NET thats DMX E1xxxx

The LOR controllers run just fine on regular DMX with an adapter cable.

See the above link.

DMX is E1.11

When you wrap it in a network layer, it's known as E1.31 which is different than ArtNet.

ArtNet 3 is the latest protocol, but is rarely (if ever) used to drive LOR controllers. It's more often used in theatres.

And you still need an adapter to drop it down to a usable DMX signal.

The board shows to be E1.27 capable. But no place to set an IP. So do I adapt XLR to RJ45 ir plug in to a network switch?

No.

Read the above links before you let the Magic Smoke escape.

And have to replace your hardware.

Unfortunately, I repair to component level. So I just create more work for myself. I made XLR to RJ connectors per LOR diagram and will test tonight. Thanks Ken for the link to the LOR stuff.

The problem was the LOR DMX jumpers. Manual indicates to move jumpers to DMX. I'm guessing a firmware upgrade allows the unit to auto detect, which the manual touches on, but moving the jumpers disables the unit.

• The topic was locked