Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding new elements to last year's sequences

Robert Burton

I think many of us are going to some type of RGB setup. I had incan mini trees last year (R,G,W) and now have the same number but are RGB. Same for my twig trees.

I took my old sequences, added the new elements (RGB stuff and some Flextech arches) and then saved it's config for this year's sequences. That way I could take the incan stuff and convert it over by just copy and paste. (These are dumb RGB )

Now my question is, what is the best way to do this? I realize now I can have WHITE and GREEN (for example) showing on the same mini tree. I am ok with that. However copying and pasting gives me mixed results when using the foreground or background paste. For example I have some areas in a sequence where half of the mini trees are green, the other half is white. Well, some are yellow, pink,etc.  I know the color mixing...so understanding how that works is not the issue.

I just know there is a easier way instead of going and tweaking every few seconds of the sequence to even match what I did last year.

I can't think of an easier way if you had two colors on for icans at the same time and just converting to RGB without going thru the sequence and picking out the two paired colors to one. But hey, that beats starting from scratch on a sequence.

Maybe someone else knows but I don't see it being that easy.

I can't think of an easier way if you had two colors on for icans at the same time and just converting to RGB without going thru the sequence and picking out the two paired colors to one. But hey, that beats starting from scratch on a sequence.

Maybe someone else knows but I don't see it being that easy.

It does, but wasn't sure if there is or was a better way of doing than that.  Keep in mind that white encompasses all 3 colors. Tried pasting from Foreground, Background, no ground ;-)  Again. Think there is a better way.

Hello...Bob?

I think this did it;

Changing Red,Green,White mini trees to RGB

I have 16 incan mini trees. I have now changed them to RGB. I want to keep the same sequences from the year before. Here is how I converted them on the sequences;

1. I separated out into separate tracks my Red, Green and Blue.
  2. I copied first the incan. white mini trees and then pasted all of the mini trees into each of the Red, Green and Blue track.
  3. I then copied incan. Green mini trees and did copied them over in the green RGB track of mini trees with the “Background” button on and the “Paste From Foreground” box checked from “Set Paste Mode” in the Edit menu.
  4. Select the upper first timing block.
  5. Select “Paste”.
  6. Your done.

I know white is from all three colors.

And I can't see how anything can be easier when using the same sequence layout from a incan setup to a RGB when dealing with more than one color on at a time without altering the sequence for the RGB colors your wanting.

Yes, white is the easy part, just combine the three colors. But in the incan sequence "when using two colors at the same time", that's what's going to have to be altered for the RGBs or like you mentioned in the first post, you will get a color different from the incans. Like yellow or pink.

Is easy, when you deal with one color at a time. But let's say if you have 16 of these. And every other one is either red, green or white (not blue). Now let's do a chase that goes back and forth. If settings are not correct and you try to use the NORMAL cut and paste from your Red track, then your Green track and then your White track... each time it will just "black" out the time squares you needed NOT to be fooled with. Then.... it is not as easy.... if your settings were not set correctly. I knew that it COULD be real easy, but nothing in the "Help" files or threads that I could find in the forum was helping. So now after about 3 or 4 hours of hacking at it, yes... I can hit the "Easy" button ;-) 

Oh,

BTW on the #4 post... I left out the Red and White. Still not perfect but close too. Throw the White into the Blue part of RGB. Then everything that is Blue, well you have to go and copy / paste that "Blue" 's stuff into the Red and Green's time slot. Still not perfect yet.

Just a lot of cutting and pasting that I am trying to avoid. It's hard to see the "Trills" with the twig trees in the video, but there are a bunch of them;

and time is slipping away so again trying to avoid the extra time to fix those.

Here's how I change a regular channel to an RGB channel.

1. Insert 2 channels below the channel I'm coverting.

2. Convert the first channel to RGB - Select New Channel 1 for G, New channel 2 for B.

3. Done

Since you already have data in the R and G channels, I would do this.

1. Add a new channel below the G channel.

2. Convert the R channel to RGB.

3. Select the existing G channel for G

4. Select the new channel for Blue.

Copy the white channel to newly created RGB channel and paste it to the background.

Here's how I change a regular channel to an RGB channel.

1. Insert 2 channels below the channel I'm coverting.

2. Convert the first channel to RGB - Select New Channel 1 for G, New channel 2 for B.

3. Done

Since you already have data in the R and G channels, I would do this.

1. Add a new channel below the G channel.

2. Convert the R channel to RGB.

3. Select the existing G channel for G

4. Select the new channel for Blue.

Copy the white channel to newly created RGB channel and paste it to the background.

Yep.

Have done that many times before.

However you still will get the pinks and other colors you really don't want when transitioning from one color to another. If the rest of your display is changing (on incans or LEDs) from one to the other, you would like your RGB stuff to do the same.  You have to go in and manually fix that. Little bit of time if it is changing all at once. However, if it is a fade...it is a pain. Should be an easier way.