Light-O-Rama Forums

Freeing up com ports-How do you do it?

steve synek

Last year I  ran 5 networks on a windows 7 machine.   This year I updated to 7 networks + 1 DMX.   My old usb adapters took coms 3,4,5,6,7. 

I updated all networks to High Speed this year with new adapters which were assigned 11,12,13,14,15,16 by the computer.  LOR only goes to Com 16 by what I see. The computer recognizes #7, but LOR will not.  How can I get adapter #7 recognized?  I think I need to delete/ free the previous com ports from the old version of adapters out of the system but can't figure out how.  Adding the DMX will be next!!!!

Steve

After reading the help section some more, I think com 17 will work for a show, but you can't use auto detect in the hardware utility for any com ports over 16. You have to manually select it.

Hopefully someone can confirm this.................Tick tick tick.............

Steve

Steve,

Go to your device manager, open ports, right click on any of your COM ports and select properties. Click the "port settings" tab and then click on the advance button at the bottom of the dialog box.  At the bottom of this dialog box you can change the COM port number to any available #.

• The topic was locked